theBRB Banner

Forum      Theater      Contests      Stockpile

Welcome Guest.

Login | Register

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1st Annual Home Studio Awards - Final Rules/Info  (Read 2711 times)
Blank avatar

TechKrill

View Profile WWW
« on: July 06, 2005, 05:37:26 PM »

Okay, the committee has decided a number of things. Following is the final rules set and categories for the 1st Annual (no longer bi-annual) Home Studio Awards. There are no more "Budget Brackets" as budget can be misleading in a home-studio setting as some cameras are rented, some are owned, etc. This skews the original purpose of the budget brackets, so they've been eliminated. In their place is a further breakdown of "best films" including Action/Adventure, Comedy, even Trailer. The time allotted for release dates has been expanded, and the ceremony itself has been moved into winter of this year, to let more people make plans and more preparation time (and I'm swamped over summer). So browse through here.

DESCRIPTION OF CEREMONY

The 1st Annual Home Studio Awards is to recognize acheivement in the under-represented area of home filmmaking. Only recently has the home studio become somewhat mainstream with the release of the phenominal Star Wars film Star Wars: Revelations. But little do most viewers know, there's a whole world of independent filmakers like Shane who are putting their heart and soul into their work. This event is to recognize them and show the world who is the next generation of filmakers.

This premiere event will be held in Winter 2005 in Tallahassee, Florida. The ceremony will include the awards, exclusive performances, showcases, and interviews, and media coverage. Let's work as hard as we can to make this event put the independent home filmaker on the map. If you are interested in having your films up for an award, please read below. Also for more info...read below. Uhm...read below Smiley

CATEGORIES

Best Picture
Best Action/Adventure
Best Comedy
Best Drama
Best Short
Best Sound Design
Best choreography
Best Cinematography
Best Visual Effects
Best Original Score
Best Trailer
Best Costume/Makeup Design
Best FanFilm
Best Actor/Actress

DESCRIPTION OF AWARDS

Best Picture:
This is going to be the overall best movie out of all of the entries. The one that has the best mix of good acting, good cinematography, good music, good story, and good presentation overall.

Best Action/Adventure:
This will be the best Action-based film. This film cannot be nominated for Best Picture.

Best Comedy:
This will be the best Comedy-style film. This film cannot be nominated for Best Picture.

Best Drama:
This will be the best Drama film. This film cannot be nominated for Best Picture.

Best Short:
This is a category specifically designed for short films that are not quite broad enough to fit into the above categories. This film cannot be nominated for Best Picture.

Best Sound Design:
This is awarded to the film with the best sound mix and foley work. Sound effects, foley, music/voice mixing, etc, will all be taken into account.

Best Choreography:
This will be awarded to the film with the best choreographed fighting scenes. Sword fights, gunfights, if it's fancy it can be in the running.

Best Cinematography:
Best camera work and visual feel of the films. How shots are lined up, editing work, etc, will be taken into account.

Best Visual Effects:
Best Visual/Special effects work. Compositing, CG, and other similar effects will be taken into account.

Best Original Score:
This will be awarded to a film with the best original soundtrack. The soundtrack must be completely written and scored for the film. You must be able to prove copywrite liscencing for the film. If the rights belong to somebody else/another company and you cannot acquire them, your film will not be able to win in this category.

Best Trailer:
All film trailers will be able to win this award. The trailers may not win any other awards except for this one.

Best Costume/Makeup Design:
Prosthetics, original costumes, makeup work, these elements will be taken into account for this category.

Best FanFilm:
Best FanFilm based off of another series/film. This film cannot win any other "best film"-based categories.

Best Actor/Actress:
This is the best performance by a single actor or actress in any type/genre of film submitted. Reguardless of other factors in their film, their performance alone will be evaluated.

Now for some instructions on what to do if you would like to participate in this great event.

EXPANDED RULES AND CHECKLIST (all in one for your convenience):

Here's a simple checklist for you to tick down to get an entry into the awards voting:

- Documented Release between August 5, 2004 and October 31, 2005
- Documented equipment listing used in the production
- Documented cast/crew listing with all applicaple positions
- Send an e-mail to dannygast@yahoo.com with a link or copy of the above information. Also include a link to where we can download and view your short
- Prepare a high-quality version of your short to send if your film is chosen to be showcased (Full resolution, clear picture and sound please)

Your entry will be viewed, reviewed, and put onto the voting block before undisclosed individuals for further review. If your entry is chosen as a nominee for one or more categories:

- Send your high-quality version of the movie on CD or DVD to an address supplied. Downloads are acceptable, but we don't enjoy waiting for it any more than you do. We are not responsible for swayed decisions due to insane download times.
- Send a high-quality image of the individual(s) responsible for the nominated section. Actor, actress, choreographyer, composer, director, writer, etc. For a Best Picture nomination, this does not apply.
- Send a high-quality image of the production studio logo that is responsible for the nominated short. If studio is unnamed, please specify.
- Send a high-quality image of a display or advertising poster or banner for the nominated short. If there is nothing applicable, disreguard.
- Lastly, send an e-mail address where we can contact a representative for the nominated short to give updates and information.

All of this information will be collected and prepared. By sending any of the above information, you give JD Video Productions the right to duplicate and publicly display it in any function related to the awards ceremony or voting sessions.

If your entry has been voted a winner in any category, the information is NOT to be publicly disclosed. Family members are allowed ONLY! (I wouldn't be able to stop from telling family members myself...) Further spoiling of the results will end up in possible disqualification.

After you have been contacted and named a winner in any given category:

- Prepare a short statement (up to 1 minute MAXIMUM) on the short in relation to the category in which it has won.
- Film the statement in a nice setting, well lit, with clear audio for presentation at the awards ceremony.
- If you can attend the ceremony (you will have advance notice), please be prepared to say a few words on stage. KEEP IT BRIEF!
- If you CANNOT attend the ceremony, please film another short statement in acceptance of the award as if you were on stage. KEEP IT BRIEF!

=======

CEREMONY ASSISTANCE

If you are interested in participating in the preliminary voting block, please contact me. NOTE: participation in the voting block will disqualify any of your own films or any films you have been affiliated with from winning any awards. The voting block will consist of up to 5 or 6 individuals. Please contact me PRIVATELY so no allegations to biased judgement can be made.

If you would be interested in attending the awards ceremony as a presenter of an award, please also contact me privately. You MAY present an award and be nominated to receive one for a film you have worked on. Dress for the presentation will be formal, tuxedo or suit (minimum) for men, nice dress for women.

If you would be interested in helping JD Video Productions with clip montages of the nominated films or some other aspect of audio and video production, please also let me know. You MAY assist with the audio/visual elements of the ceremony and still be affiliated in some way with nominated shorts.

=======

CEREMONY ATTENDANCE

If you are interested in attending the live ceremony, an RSVP is required as seating will be limited. Please e-mail dannygast@yahoo.com with your name, your affiliation with any shorts or amateur film production, and how many are in your party (no more than 5 PLEASE! including family!)

The ceremony will be held on August 5th in Tallahasee, Florida with the exact location to be decided. This event will be advertised in the capital city of Florida and will have limited first-come first-served seating for the general public. This is an excellent exposition for your shorts and acheivements to a public who probably doesn't know that we exist. Let's show them what we're made of Smiley

If your short is awarded in any category, 2 courtesy seats will be reserved for you. Please contact dannygast@yahoo.com if you need more or cannot attend the ceremony in person.

This should be a lot of fun.

And if you've already submitted your film, I have already documented them and they are still good to go. But we are looking for more films, so keep them coming. Fanfilms, trailers, original works, all accepted. Read above for all rules, etc. These rules are fairly set in stone unless somebody points out an obvious error. And the expanded timetable will give more time for us to get the word out and get things finished/submitted.
Blank avatar

Mrdodobird

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 05:47:26 PM »

Who's running this? Is this a contest you're runnning?

Sounds sweet! Cheesy
Blank avatar

FCRabbath

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 06:09:32 PM »

This premiere event will be held in Winter 2005 in Tallahassee, Florida.
Suureee, your just coming here cuz i live IN tallahassee ! haha
Blank avatar

TechKrill

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2005, 06:12:47 PM »

Yes, Rabbath, it's nice to have a familiar face. I thought about going as far as Atlanta or even further west like Tennessee, but I don't know anyone there, lol. I'd be willing to make the trip tho...
Blank avatar

TechKrill

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2005, 09:57:13 AM »

Question, would doing the whole vent via video be easier than doing it live? As in, all the aspects would be taped. Presentations, acceptances, etc, and edited together for a video released on the internet instead of done on a live stage. Would more people be able to participate? Would you take part then and wouldn't now?

Thoughts, please.

And I'm rather disapointed that the turnout from thebrb has been so negative. Theforce.net has sent in 80% of the entries...and THIS is supposed to be the more original site...hah...
Blank avatar

Mrdodobird

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2005, 10:35:32 AM »

I'm still trying to figure out the submission process... just a sec...

I mean, you DID just announce it yesterday Smiley
« Last Edit: July 07, 2005, 10:35:58 AM by Mrdodobird » Logged
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2005, 01:09:25 PM »

tfn has a larger user base, so its not surprising that they sent in more entries.

If live works, thats cool.... but if its too small to be neat, then whats the point... I mean... if the real audience will be on the net anyway, then it loses the "live"factor.
Blank avatar

TechKrill

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2005, 01:48:15 PM »

My point exactly, so we're seeing who's actually interested in coming so we MAY end up just making it an internet event. Besides, there would be a lot more availability for guest-presenters. Such as Ian sending a video with the whole "The top 3 are..." "the winner is..." etc, since he's in Seattle and can't make the trip, he wouldn't be able to do it live, etc. I'm looking into celebrity presentations too.
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2005, 02:10:25 PM »

I still like my idea of comping it all in. Doesn't have to be green screened, but place everyone where they should be. For the live event itself, you could use a projector, but for the net release, just comp it like they are standing there. Tell them to film themselves against a white wall, have a white wall on stage.
Blank avatar

JohnMoore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2005, 02:22:05 PM »

I really your idea Tech.  Sounds to be awesome.

Hmm...

I'll keep reading, but thou hast a looooooong list!

While I'm not religious myself, I don't mind the fact that people who are religious think it means they should behave like they have brains. - Daniel Ross [DJR33].

ìI love everyone!î Chase screamed at the top of his lungs. It may not have been profound, but at least it was positive!" -  An excerpt from 'The Story' by Ian Hubert. [MrDodoBird]

"Obviously though, the prerequisite to losing one's social life is actually having one in the first place." - Nick. [Rogue09]
Blank avatar

TechKrill

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2005, 02:40:56 PM »

The overall opinion is that the event will be more successful as an internet-only event. Doing that, we can get all sorts of big names to send in videos of themselves without having to spring for them to come to the event, etc.

Just more potential for participation and stuff of that nature. And you can fast-forward and rewind much easier Smiley So keep the entries coming! And I do need help with this, so if you're interested in helping, we'll chit chat. E-mail or PM is best: dannygast@yahoo.com
Blank avatar

TechKrill

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2005, 01:00:53 PM »

The deadline is coming up! This event is still going to happen! READ READ!

DESCRIPTION OF CEREMONY

The 1st Annual Home Studio Awards is to recognize acheivement in the under-represented area of home filmmaking. Only recently has the home studio become somewhat mainstream with the release of the phenominal Star Wars film Star Wars: Revelations. But little do most viewers know, there's a whole world of independent filmakers like Shane who are putting their heart and soul into their work. This event is to recognize them and show the world who is the next generation of filmakers.

The event will be released internet-wide sometime at the end of 2005, when all the entries have been voted on, all award recipients accepted their prizes, etc.

CATEGORIES

Best Picture
Best Action/Adventure
Best Comedy
Best Drama
Best Short
Best Sound Design
Best choreography
Best Cinematography
Best Visual Effects
Best Original Score
Best Trailer
Best Costume/Makeup Design
Best FanFilm
Best Actor/Actress

DESCRIPTION OF AWARDS

Best Picture:
This is going to be the overall best movie out of all of the entries. The one that has the best mix of good acting, good cinematography, good music, good story, and good presentation overall.

Best Action/Adventure:
This will be the best Action-based film. This film cannot be nominated for Best Picture.

Best Comedy:
This will be the best Comedy-style film. This film cannot be nominated for Best Picture.

Best Drama:
This will be the best Drama film. This film cannot be nominated for Best Picture.

Best Short:
This is a category specifically designed for short films that are not quite broad enough to fit into the above categories. This film cannot be nominated for Best Picture.

Best Sound Design:
This is awarded to the film with the best sound mix and foley work. Sound effects, foley, music/voice mixing, etc, will all be taken into account.

Best Choreography:
This will be awarded to the film with the best choreographed fighting scenes. Sword fights, gunfights, if it's fancy it can be in the running.

Best Cinematography:
Best camera work and visual feel of the films. How shots are lined up, editing work, etc, will be taken into account.

Best Visual Effects:
Best Visual/Special effects work. Compositing, CG, and other similar effects will be taken into account.

Best Original Score:
This will be awarded to a film with the best original soundtrack. The soundtrack must be completely written and scored for the film. You must be able to prove copywrite liscencing for the film. If the rights belong to somebody else/another company and you cannot acquire them, your film will not be able to win in this category.

Best Trailer:
All film trailers will be able to win this award. The trailers may not win any other awards except for this one.

Best Costume/Makeup Design:
Prosthetics, original costumes, makeup work, these elements will be taken into account for this category.

Best FanFilm:
Best FanFilm based off of another series/film. This film cannot win any other "best film"-based categories.

Best Actor/Actress:
This is the best performance by a single actor or actress in any type/genre of film submitted. Reguardless of other factors in their film, their performance alone will be evaluated.

Now for some instructions on what to do if you would like to participate in this great event.

EXPANDED RULES AND CHECKLIST (all in one for your convenience):

Here's a simple checklist for you to tick down to get an entry into the awards voting:

- Documented Release before November 30, 2005
- Documented equipment listing used in the production
- Documented cast/crew listing with all applicaple positions
- Send an e-mail to dannygast@yahoo.com with a link or copy of the above information. Also include a link to where we can download and view your short
- Prepare a high-quality version of your short to send if your film is chosen to be showcased (Full resolution, clear picture and sound please)

Your entry will be viewed, reviewed, and put onto the voting block before undisclosed individuals for further review. If your entry is chosen as a nominee for one or more categories:

- Send your high-quality version of the movie on CD or DVD to an address supplied. Downloads are acceptable, but we don't enjoy waiting for it any more than you do. We are not responsible for swayed decisions due to insane download times.
- Send a high-quality image of the individual(s) responsible for the nominated section. Actor, actress, choreographyer, composer, director, writer, etc. For a Best Picture nomination, this does not apply.
- Send a high-quality image of the production studio logo that is responsible for the nominated short. If studio is unnamed, please specify.
- Send a high-quality image of a display or advertising poster or banner for the nominated short. If there is nothing applicable, disreguard.
- Lastly, send an e-mail address where we can contact a representative for the nominated short to give updates and information.

All of this information will be collected and prepared. By sending any of the above information, you give JD Video Productions the right to duplicate and publicly display it in any function related to the awards ceremony or voting sessions.

If your entry has been voted a winner in any category, the information is NOT to be publicly disclosed. Family members are allowed ONLY! (I wouldn't be able to stop from telling family members myself...) Further spoiling of the results will end up in possible disqualification.

After you have been contacted and named a winner in any given category:

- Prepare a short statement (up to 1 minute MAXIMUM) on the short in relation to the category in which it has won.
- Film the statement in a nice setting, well lit, with clear audio for presentation in the final internet-released program.
- Please film another short statement in acceptance of the award as if you were on stage. KEEP IT BRIEF!

=======

CEREMONY ASSISTANCE

If you are interested in participating in the preliminary voting block, please contact me. NOTE: participation in the voting block will disqualify any of your own films or any films you have been affiliated with from winning any awards. The voting block will consist of up to 5 or 6 individuals. Please contact me PRIVATELY so no allegations to biased judgement can be made.

If you would be interested in helping JD Video Productions with clip montages of the nominated films or some other aspect of audio and video production, please also let me know. You MAY assist with the audio/visual elements of the ceremony and still be affiliated in some way with nominated shorts.

This should be a lot of fun.

And if you've already submitted your film, I have already documented them and they are still good to go. But we are looking for more films, so keep them coming. Fanfilms, trailers, original works, all accepted. Read above for all rules, etc. These rules are fairly set in stone unless somebody points out an obvious error. And the expanded timetable will give more time for us to get the word out and get things finished/submitted.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: