theBRB Banner

Forum      Theater      Contests      Stockpile

Welcome Guest.

Login | Register

Poll
Question:
Language of any kind should be allowed short of direct insults/flaming/etc - 7 (38.9%)
Some language should be allowed but most should not. (Hell/Damn/God/Ass/etc OK) - 8 (44.4%)
No language, period - 3 (16.7%)
Total Voters: 0

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Language Usage At BRB....  (Read 5225 times)
Blank avatar

djr33

« on: June 02, 2005, 09:02:29 PM »

We have no obligation to go by the results of this poll, but are simply wondering what you guys think. Please post if you want to discuss, but don't argue. We want everyone's opinion, not everyone's opinion about others' opinions.
Blank avatar

Alex_C

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 09:06:02 PM »

Language does not bother me, personally. In my opinion, if words are in the dictionary, then people have every right to use them.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2005, 09:06:46 PM by Alex_C » Logged
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005, 09:09:25 PM »

Alex.... do you mean that we should be able to use any language to simply accent a point? As in.... instead of the word VERY? I assume you don't mean that we should be able to insult/be innapropriate.

Just wondering.... (please post what you think.... just trying to make it more clear)
Blank avatar

wproductions

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005, 09:13:15 PM »

Anything... no insults...
As long as the words don't become a habit and are not overused it's fine to prove a point but not at someone...
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2005, 09:14:32 PM »

problem with that (And I completely agree with you) is that its very hard to enforce. When is it a "problem", you know?
Blank avatar

JohnMoore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2005, 09:20:11 PM »

Eh, it takes judgement.

Basically though, it should be a kid friendly site.  PG or PG-13.

While I'm not religious myself, I don't mind the fact that people who are religious think it means they should behave like they have brains. - Daniel Ross [DJR33].

ìI love everyone!î Chase screamed at the top of his lungs. It may not have been profound, but at least it was positive!" -  An excerpt from 'The Story' by Ian Hubert. [MrDodoBird]

"Obviously though, the prerequisite to losing one's social life is actually having one in the first place." - Nick. [Rogue09]
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2005, 09:22:56 PM »

Technically, you must either be 13 or have a parent/guardian present when you sign up. This means that certainly PG13 would be OK, though no reason to say it can't remian at PG. Just for everyone's knowledge.
Blank avatar

Alex_C

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2005, 09:25:40 PM »

Insults without reason are pointless, as are most insults made by immature posters trying to use "grown-up" words to look "cool."
On the other hand, if something potentially insulting is based off of fact, instead of just plain assumption and idiocity or immaturity, then I feel the person expressing that point of view doesn't have to sugar-coat it.

I find "swear" words used as adjectives completely uninsulting.
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2005, 09:26:50 PM »

hmm... good point. the bad language wouldn't be what makes the post insulting and even without it, it should be edited. good call on that one.
Blank avatar

Fredrick Von Shwinkel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2005, 09:56:40 PM »

Well i've got to say its kind of rare to find a forum that won't let you swear...which is kind of how this site seems to be formed. i do feel a little restricted at times, just because I need to watch my words to make sure they couldn't be taken as...innapropriated. I don't mean just swearing either. I have to make sure to disagree politely with someone. Shocked

Kind of annoying, Nevertheless I see the point.

I think the main point is that we need to decide if someone "HYPOTHETICALLY" started making posts that were simply

"Your Retarded", "STFU noob", etc. etc.....is that warrent enough to have them not be on the site?

I say yes. Specificly for this site, I think its different and I enjoy the clean atmosphere.

Now on the hand...if someone were to using swearing or put downÖbut still contribute to the topic:

ìI thought the keying was F****** greatî, or ìyou could have put a little more F****** effort, it came out looking stupid.î

I wouldnít have any problem with that, yea the language but heyÖitís the internet, a different way of expressing yourself. I donít think the use of a swear word is really going to completely ruin anyoneís day. I donít think you guys should be all that worried about it.

Those are my thoughts, Iíd love feedback and for more people to give your opinions ñ even if your like ìIím for a language controlî or ìIím againstîÖwhat does everyone think?

A man wakes up after a horrible acc!dent and says ìDoctor doctor, I canít feel my legs!î to which the doctor replies ìI know you canít, I cut off your arms.î

oooh...

I <3 GoogleBot
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2005, 10:03:26 PM »

Very good points.... all of them.

The one thing that you guys who say it doesn't matter don't realize/ aren't thinking about is that while you don't "mind" seeing that language, others do.

The question is: Is it really enough of a benifit to you for them to be unhappy from up. Again, up to you... we want to know YOUR opinion... but... just keep that in mind.
Blank avatar

no1jedi

VIP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2005, 11:24:29 PM »

My general opinion is that the way it is now is fine.
Blank avatar

Darth_Brad

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2005, 11:27:39 PM »

Agreed
Blank avatar

JohnMoore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2005, 03:59:06 AM »

Eh, here's my thought.

Derek Moreland doesn't like cussing, and would prefer that there were none at all.  Period.  David Heustis doesn't like cussing all that much, but he's not gonna leave if there's the occasional PG damn or crap.

HOWEVER, both of them, and I, will leave if there are useless stupid insults or general negativity.  Positive, overly happy, yet still mature attitudes will keep this alive.  Arguments shouldn't be held here.  That's just depressing.

A creative, inspiring, uplifting place.  That's what can make the Big Red Button different from everything else.  On TFN, you use a cuss word, regardless of what why when where how, they get rid of it.  Period.

Oh well.  If they gotta do it they gotta do it.  In all, it makes for more members.

I think that if a point cannot be gotten through WITHOUT using heavy language, it probably shouldn't be made.  Probably.  This is where Ian and Daniel and Sage and ALL the mod's come in, to know when it doesn't need to be there.

However, I think that language isn't as bad as a repeatedly bad attitude toward everything.  That's just depressing and annoying.

While I'm not religious myself, I don't mind the fact that people who are religious think it means they should behave like they have brains. - Daniel Ross [DJR33].

ìI love everyone!î Chase screamed at the top of his lungs. It may not have been profound, but at least it was positive!" -  An excerpt from 'The Story' by Ian Hubert. [MrDodoBird]

"Obviously though, the prerequisite to losing one's social life is actually having one in the first place." - Nick. [Rogue09]
Blank avatar

Funk, E

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2005, 04:17:08 AM »

Agreed, but I don't think we should be thought-policing.

If somebody's going to swear, let them swear.  So what if they do?  If somebody needs to swear in casual conversation on the internet, that's a strike against them, I guess.  Pointless flaming= Not cool, trolling = not cool, Fig = not cool.  You get the idea.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: