theBRB Banner

Forum      Theater      Contests      Stockpile

Welcome Guest.

Login | Register

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 3d animation  (Read 4004 times)
Blank avatar

starwalker

« on: May 28, 2005, 06:25:32 PM »

Hello, Im new to these forums, but everyone seems rather friendly, so I thought I would voice my question. Im am currently writing a script for a star wars fan movie. I have all the actors, but there are other concerns. I can learn to use almost anything to tell me. I am new at directing and all, and I was wondering if there Is a site that could teach me all the basics, or diffrent sites that can tell me exactly what I need. Heres what Im looking to learn

-Film Equipment needed(what do I need)
-3d Modeling(actually I've tried this but I am having no luck, is there a place where I could send In my movie after its done, and have them do all the post productions., like creating and animating scenes for free or a price/ is really doesnt matter)

Help and advice would be greatly appreciated. If I am being to vague please tell me, I would be glad to explain myself better : )

Blank avatar

TechKrill

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2005, 08:08:38 PM »

*raves, rants, yells, screams, foams at the mouth*

Okay, now. First of all, for film equipment, a camera and tripod are imperatives. With those, you can at least make movies. Beyond that, lights that you can position, external microphones, etc etc. But basically get a TRIPOD! I cannot stress this... ^_^

Can't help u with CG, I'm no good at it.
Blank avatar

starwalker

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2005, 09:15:03 PM »

*laughs* thanks for all your help. I figured I needed that much, just wasnt sure If I needed anything more advanced and whatnot. Your comments did help though. If anyone else has anything on cg, please say : )
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2005, 10:38:19 PM »

CG is very diverse.... many ways to do it.

The main question is budget. If you can afford a 5,000 dollar program, then you can pretty much get anything.... but some apps are really expensive. Some are less.... but generally, you will need 3D Studio Max or Maya. Lightwave, Cinema 4D and others are also out there, but much less common. Max is generally the "best" for what we are doing, considering it is compatable, a lot of models are available on the net (www.scifi3d.com), and its in wide use, so lots of help is out there. Maya is arguably the "better" application.... but its more for pro use, and, from what I hear, harder.
Both of these programs will set you back quite a bit of cash, though.

The other option is a completely free app called Blender. (www.blender3d.org). This has been put to some awesome use (see Ideality and other films).

In the end, CG is all about the user and creativity.

Personally, I use bryce, but it is ONLY usable for objects that don't change.... meaning characters are out. Its designed for landscapes but also works for spaceships... kinda. For $89, its not bad.... certainly if you want landscapes.

I agree with Dan (Tech) about a tripod. Other equipment that is nice.... hmm....
lights, if you want to deal with them. They are a neccessity if you will be using a bluescreen. External mics... nice. They are also great for voiceovers. Read (in our tutorials section.... link at the top) a tutorial by JohnMoore on audio for your film. That sums it up.
A preview monitor (little, portable, battery operated TV) is also nice. This also applies when working on your computer to view TV safe-lines... basically TVs display less than the full digital image you see on your screen, so you need to know where this is when editing... (apps can tell you, but its just nicer to see a preview anyway.... colors differ, etc.)

When spending money... the four top things to worry about:
Good camera, good computer, space to save data on that computer and good programs to edit with.

Everything else is just if you want it.. not to say its not worth it, but certainly not as much as the above.

Anyway, welcome, check out blender and have a great day.

By the way, I'm Daniel and an administrator here. Contact me for whatever.
Blank avatar

starwalker

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2005, 10:49:42 PM »

Thanks for all your help. Would I be able to use blender for creating the main lightsaber effects? Thats my main concert right now, because I love epic lightsaber battles and such, and since my film will be based around starwars, whats starwars without lightsabers!, lol. Thanks for all your help.
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2005, 11:12:01 PM »

I'll answer, but first...
Lightsabers have been done. they are boring. This doesn't mean to not include them, but making just another lightsaber battle will be overlooked. Try to be new and really creative Smiley (for example do lightsabers vs blasters rather than a duel... or at least more of a movie than the duel).

Anyway, blender can do lightsabers... but I've only seen it done by experienced users. I also don't think the results are as good as when done in a 2D editing program.
For lightsabers, bluescreeing, layering, whatever.... After Effects is the way to go. With an educational discount, it's probably under 500... but I'm not sure. It does it all and will be a great help to you.

Also, look into photoshop (by the same company as AE, Adobe). Its nice for stills. This can be backgrounds or even frame by frame fx... if need be.
Blank avatar

starwalker

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2005, 11:25:58 PM »

Is it possible to use photoshop, and go frame by frame with editing, and adding light saber fx? and thanks for the tips on duels and such. I have been looking around and have also found other great tips such as yours, and I will be sure to add yours to my humoungous list of good/bad things to do : )
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2005, 11:28:54 PM »

Glad you're finding BRB useful Smiley

PS works just fine for frame by frame sabers. That is, in fact, how many people do it.
I did so for a long time.

It works fine.... except sometimes when you arent sure where the blade is because its so blurry from moving so fast.

The issue is VERY simple. Are you willing to spend that much time on it?

The great part of AE is that you can do keyframes.... you can tell it that the blade starts "here", then over the next 10 frames, moves "here". It fills in the rest... not to mention automates rendering, so you don't have to wait each frame.

You can also adjust things for the whole project as well as edit rather than having to go back frame by frame and redo it.
Blank avatar

starwalker

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2005, 11:40:45 PM »

Im trying the trial verson of AE. I will try to make something soon, im looking at a tutorial for it, just so I can try and get the hang of it. I will be sure to post any questions or tell you how it went. Thanks for all your help and yes, these forums are great. This is a whole new area I am trying out. I have been working in html, php, xml, and all other web design scripts, but I thought I would venture out and try a shot at something else. Also I have maya, but I've used it maybe once and since you said it can be hard, I wont try that yet. : )
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2005, 11:52:13 PM »

If you have maya, then learn that rather than blender. Its not like blender limits you, but learning two apps is harder than one.

Check out AE... it takes a while to get used to... but its nice once you do.
www.ryan-w.com is nice for lightsaber work. (tutorials, etc)
Blank avatar

starwalker

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2005, 12:07:17 AM »

Okay, I have installed AE and I imported a .mov extension video that I found on the internet with light sabers(before they were alread yfixed up with any type of cg. I must be doing something wrong because when I go to click it with the pen tool, nothing happens. any suggestions or do you know the reason for this?  - sorry if Im being a pain.

>>Thanks
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2005, 12:10:19 AM »

nah, not being a pain.

for one thing, sign onto aim.... posting back and forth like this is kinda pointless... and I can help faster if we're chatting. I'm d33jr.

As for sabers in AE... I'm certainly no expert. You should have your file in the timeline, on the screen you are viewing.... choose the pen tool, not the one with a + or - (and I think there's a fourth too....).... you just need the basic tool. All you should have to do is click, then next point, click.

Perhaps you should go to layer>new mask. That's what the pen tool does... defines boundaries of "masks".
« Last Edit: May 29, 2005, 12:10:39 AM by djr33 » Logged
Blank avatar

jedimastermonkey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2005, 12:36:33 AM »

AE is good for sabers and you don't have to do frame by frame rotoscoping. If you have heard of Ryan w, he is really good at making them. If you are not using his tut, you should. Smiley

O by the way welcome.  

http://myspace-806.vo.llnwd.net/00115/60/88/115188806_l.gif' border='0' alt='user posted image' />
Fall away, spiral out...
http://thebrbforums.com/html/emoticons/monkeytfn.gif' border='0' alt='user posted image' />
Blank avatar

starwalker

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2005, 04:46:13 AM »

thanks for the welcome, I have been learning the tut. for 2 days...yea Im a complete noob at AE, but I have gotten one lightsaber done(about 7 seconds worth of film) just to test it out and what not, Im gunna keep workin' at it, and yea I have been using ryan-w.com, hes great at AE
Blank avatar

jedimastermonkey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2005, 05:02:09 AM »

I suked at it to, but with practice you will get better. Smiley

http://myspace-806.vo.llnwd.net/00115/60/88/115188806_l.gif' border='0' alt='user posted image' />
Fall away, spiral out...
http://thebrbforums.com/html/emoticons/monkeytfn.gif' border='0' alt='user posted image' />
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: