theBRB Banner

Forum      Theater      Contests      Stockpile

Welcome Guest.

Login | Register

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Nitroblades' story idea  (Read 3112 times)

Nitro Blade

View Profile
« on: May 27, 2005, 05:48:01 AM »

I got an idea last night. Might not be exactly what you want, but it has the potential for comedy, and for special effects.

Here goes:

Hal works in a dead end job in an office for a souless insurance company. He has a crush on the office hottie, Fiora. He's not exactly the stud of the office, so this isn't helping him. He's a loser basically, always losing himself in his own imagination. He really just wants to be a science-fiction writer, always dreaming of stories of adventure.

However, everything goes awry when he suddenly discovers that his boss, and all the supervisors are infact... ALIENS FROM OUTER SPACE!!! He hasn't been working for a souless insurance company, but souless aliens planning to take over the earth!

Well, when Fiora has been kidnapped to be made the bride of one of these aliens, named Jerry (who's always had a thing for firoa), well Hal and his pals decide to save her and to save the planet from enslavement.

I don't mind working on the treatment, maybe even the script. Just wondering what people think. Of course it would be a short film, but it could be very fun. Sort of like Office Space or Dilbert with aliens.

Only problem is it might be often one location, the office, but then it's moved to the street or even on the alien's space ship.
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2005, 10:33:45 AM »

I've split this into its own topic as it is worth discussing.

This would offer some fun possibilities. Lots of fx work could be done by many people and I can see the locations working out.

We would need a Hal and a friend/coworker or two. We could also have the girl, fiora, as a seperate unit.

It would be very easy to have a conversation where hal talks to his friend, friend says "hey, look, she's over there.... go talk to her" and hal says no. There could be a split screen effect. We could also show other shots of just Fiora. Then of course, she would be on bluescreen when kidnapped.
After this, there would have to be the end.... they would have to meet, so this would be complex, but kinda what I had in mind... blending different locations. With bluescreen and our creative editing (AE as well), a lot is possible. It would be so awesome if we could have a kissing shot filmed on two different sides of the country.... wouldn't even be that hard. Just all about angles and lighting.

I'd definately like to see more on this.... and also expand the setup to include more options for different filming crews.... news broadcasts on the subject... people in the streets screaming.... other groups of people in the office...

I like the idea, let's look into it a bit more.

Nitro Blade

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2005, 12:46:29 PM »

Thanks. Wow, a whole thread to myself. Smiley

The easiest way of doing this would be to have the shots with the actors done by one person. Establishing shots, people screaming, etc... could all be done by another person.

Only one problem though. Once you start mixing people, you start mixing cameras, styles, and one big problem is acting. One character on the other side of the planet might be yelling, while on the other side, Fiora might be talking camly. Just as an example.

Plus for my idea Fiora actually talks to and knows Hal, there's even a scene where he tries to ask her out, but Jerry interupts them and wisks her away.

It would just be a lot easier for at least the actors to all be together, you know?

I guess it all depends how the script ends up being.

I've also thought of a lot of little funny things. Like Hal is talking to his pals, and they all have their ties on their foreheads like a bandana like in Shawn of the Dead, with staples, paper wieghts, etc... as weapons. Hal is explaing about alpha team setting up a perimiter, beta team infiltrates and destroys, etc... Then they say "why don't we just go in and storm the place?" Hal: "Yeah, that works too"

It would require for them to sort of "beam" onto the space ship which is conveniently located on the roof of the building. And they figure that they just get automatically get on, but they realize nothign is happening so they try to taunt the aliens and bug them, etc...

I could see a car chase even, where the streets get torn up as they ride away.

All the interior space ship scenes would have to be blue screened, and the aliens themselves could be aliens as well.

I've thought a lot about it since yesterday. I think I'll write out a treatment/outline of this thing tonight and see what you guys think.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005, 12:46:53 PM by Nitro Blade » Logged
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2005, 11:59:07 PM »

Honestly, Nitro, that doesnt' fit the idea of many teams. I think you realize that.

Ok.... color correction.... fixes all of the camera mixing issues.

We will have to rework any script for it to all work out.

Also, we don't want a monstrously long script... we we couldn't do much extra... car chases, etc... but maybe. We'll have to see.

I'd certainly like to see a more detailed version. We can always mess with it after.

Nitro Blade

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2005, 09:16:20 AM »

Yeah. Well, I could see this falling in 15 minutes if done right. Very few scenes and things going on.

Well, I've come down with a cold since yesterday, and I'm only on for a second, so I don't know when I'll be able to write the treatment.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2005, 09:17:05 AM by Nitro Blade » Logged
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2005, 10:39:23 PM »

That's fine.

When writing, remember that the goal of the project is having different crews. So... yep. Also, that doesn't just mean film crews.. but FX, etc.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: