theBRB Banner

Forum      Theater      Contests      Stockpile

Welcome Guest.

Login | Register

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: General Story Discussion  (Read 8218 times)
Blank avatar

djr33

« on: May 25, 2005, 09:33:47 PM »

At the moment, this is THE topic for the production.

We need a story editor.... so for now, I will oversee storywriting.

Let's find someone great for story editor.... we  need a story good enough to hold everything together and that is no easy task.

For the story we need:
-Something that "glues" everything together in a fantastic  way
-Something entertaining, something interesting, and something funny, hopefully
-A story that fits  multiple location filming--- this is CRUCIAL
-The story should include some very fun FX sequences.... that will be a majority of what the project is about, after all.

Everyone, please, help write. We should begin by discussing our options, which as I see it are:
-Someone writes a script
-We use a group scriptwriting thread... one line at a time
-We throw out ideas and work together to expand  them.
-We all give plot element suggestions, a script is written around these

No  matter what, the  script will then have a first draft. This will then be taken and revised by the story editor. This will be posted and  everyone will have the opportunity to revise it.  Once these edits are reviewed by the Story editor, a final version will be completed. The  story will most likely barely resemble its original form, but should be good writing.

So... to begin, how would you guys like to start this process?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2005, 07:52:22 PM by djr33 » Logged
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005, 09:45:10 PM »

First reply... the question of genre.

The obvious choice is action adventure, IMO.

It allows for a semi-cheesy setup, giving us some leeway with that.

Also, a mix of  comedy and drama is common, so that will work well.

Not to mention FX... this is really the best genre  for  lots of fun FX.

The question, though... is what the shell genre is.... is it fantasy? sci-fi?

Action adventure, but in what style?
Blank avatar

KIRADOR

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 02:24:34 PM »

There has to be a scene where the protagonist is being chased by a giant pair of eyeballs, paying homage to 'Indy'........ and 'TheBRB script'. B)

.........and possibly a hovering lightbulb. Cheesy
« Last Edit: May 26, 2005, 02:59:35 PM by KIRADOR » Logged
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 07:37:01 PM »

That sounds interesting... could be fun.

The main issue to overcome is how to write.... I am going to setup a subforum just for story. This will help us out quite a bit, I think.
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005, 07:53:38 PM »

In the other threads below this, there are various ways to submit story ideas or work on new ones.
This thread is for general input, ideas for new threads, suggestions, whatever.
Blank avatar

JohnMoore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2005, 08:14:59 PM »

OK, I'm thinking that however the story is written, it must be rewritten at least once.  At LEAST Once.  And NEVER have one location last more than three pages.

Especially for a fast paced movie.

While I'm not religious myself, I don't mind the fact that people who are religious think it means they should behave like they have brains. - Daniel Ross [DJR33].

ìI love everyone!î Chase screamed at the top of his lungs. It may not have been profound, but at least it was positive!" -  An excerpt from 'The Story' by Ian Hubert. [MrDodoBird]

"Obviously though, the prerequisite to losing one's social life is actually having one in the first place." - Nick. [Rogue09]
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2005, 08:19:20 PM »

I completely agree with both accounts.

We will have four drafts.... the original version/brainstorming/concept, then a script submittal by that story's editor then a public rewrite session and a final version by the editor containing the best of the new suggestions. This will be final. The editors will very per script and we will then decide which one to use.
Blank avatar

JohnMoore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2005, 08:25:09 PM »

Ah yes!

I'm uh.... (tries to remember Ian/brb terminology)....

Oh yes,

I'm so totally hyped cause this is way totally awesome man!!  Good call!

/ Tongue

Seriously though, I assume the public rewrite will be via AIM?

While I'm not religious myself, I don't mind the fact that people who are religious think it means they should behave like they have brains. - Daniel Ross [DJR33].

ìI love everyone!î Chase screamed at the top of his lungs. It may not have been profound, but at least it was positive!" -  An excerpt from 'The Story' by Ian Hubert. [MrDodoBird]

"Obviously though, the prerequisite to losing one's social life is actually having one in the first place." - Nick. [Rogue09]
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2005, 08:28:53 PM »

The script's first version will be posted here. This will then be revised by the editor... either the original person who submitted it or a new editor, depending on the situation.
Their rewrite will be available for public download in this forum. The format will probably be .txt for ease of use.

Once the scripts have been discussed in their own threads, the editor will do a final rewrite, taking these suggestions into account and then posted again for public viewing.

At this point for each script, it will be ready for final submission.

Once we have enough scripts to do so, we will have a poll and vote for which script should be used.

The script may be revised more at this point as it is our final script.

With everyone's eyes, what can go wrong? Cheesy
Blank avatar

JohnMoore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2005, 08:33:20 PM »

Ok, how liberal are we going to be with our writing?

Do we just write for a good story and then settle major issues such as 'That would requiring bluescreening everysingle shot in the movie, as well as rotoscoping Ian's hair', or do we be a little more down to earth?

Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2005, 08:36:41 PM »

Yes... and no.

Please write good stories and TRY to use neat FX. Don't worry about FX too much as we can probably come up with everything we need.
BUT... do think realistically. We cannot make a film about nascar as we simply don't have the set (racetrack) or cars (even CG wouldnt work for people getting in/out/sitting inside). Along the same lines, think about what we can accomplish... but don't limit yourselves too much.

And we can always revise. Hey... the more complex, the more of a challenge, right?! Cheesy

Nitro Blade

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2005, 09:34:29 PM »

Perhaps, instead of writing a full script, why not we all just write out treatments of our ideas? You know, those short summary things. You just write out your idea, each scene can be either 2 lines, or 3 paragraphs. You can even write dialogue if you want.

Perhaps we can just come out with treatments, or heck, even just a small 1 paragraph summary and when one is decided then we can really focus our efforts on the script, instead of everyone spending time on scripts to only have it rejected.

Everyone has strengths and weaknesses in scripts, and this is what should be worked on. Maybe send the script over to this person to work on the dialogue, and then to that person for the plot or action scenes, and then this person for that.

Once the basic storyline is decided, before any writing is done, the characters must be figured out and must be interesting, dynamic, they must have depth and be layered and have an actual personality, etc... I can help with that seeing as I love to write characters. Cheesy People loved my characters for my Star Wars film... which was never made. Smiley

But then from the characters, we move it onto the plot, get that writen out, then someone good with dialogue writes that out, then a person good with action scenes, etc... Then it might be posted and people add in their critisism, and give their own versions, etc....

Anyways, just my sugestion. Might be more effective if we go about it this way.

Also, the main focus of the film should be the plot, not where it's shot or what cool effects we put in, etc... Films don't generally start of like that, unless you're a film like... let's say, Troy (I never saw it, but I heard it was just this one pointless movie all about action). We don't want this to be all one big smoke and mirrors film, you know? Unless that IS what you want?

EDIT: Oh, and as for being re-writen once, lol, I sure hope so. Most films can go through up to 100 re-writes. I only start with a script that's at least been reviewed by loads of people and re-written at least 5 times.

Oh, and I sujest you guys pick up the book entitled "Screenplay". It's the most common book used in the industry today, and explains a hell of a lot about how to start, what a script should consist of, etc... Well, it's more for feature length films, but most of it applies to short films as well. Well, this film is more for fun I guess, but it's still a very good and useful read. You'd be surprised about how much you'd learn from it.

http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/0440...7249474-8680060
« Last Edit: May 26, 2005, 09:41:43 PM by Nitro Blade » Logged
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2005, 09:40:59 PM »

You make some very good points. Let's do exactly what you are saying... and what I've been planning.

To revise above...
we will create scripts in very general form.... either by line by line thread or someone's solo effort or a group discussion... whatever.

From this point, an editor will be in charge of each script. They will do a rewrite to get the script formatted in a managable way.

These first drafts will then be decided upon by which is most promising.

The best will become our script. We will then focus on making it really work well. Dialogue will be fixed, errors fixed, etc etc.

And about FX.... what is a good BRB film without FX? The plots should be designed as action adventure type films, generally. This can be interpreted however, but this is the best genre for fast paced, lots of action movies. They can be sci-fi, fantasy, war films, present day set films, whatever.... but we want to incorporate FX because that will be the fun part of the film. Also, more people can work on it that way.

As you write, don't write just to include an explosion, but certainly don't hesitate to add it in. That's what I am saying, I guess.

Nitro Blade

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2005, 09:45:20 PM »

Right, I get yah. The whole idea I guess is to make sure it's for effects from the begining, let's say, we do some sort of dream, and that automatically would require heavy effects.

Nitro Blade

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2005, 09:51:24 PM »

Wait, sorry for two posts, but if I understand you correctly, after we come up with a few ideas, someone is going to write them all up into script format? Why not just focus on one script and decide before these scripts are written, you know?

I mean, a script in it's first draft might be complete crap, but with the proper revision, it could be the best of the lot. It really just has to do with the original idea. Like they say, sometimes the original idea is the best, which is why you should have it written down and always refer to it for writing and re-writing if you've lost the vision along the way.

Anyways, which ever way you want to take it.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: