theBRB Banner

Forum      Theater      Contests      Stockpile

Welcome Guest.

Login | Register

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions, Suggestions and Announcements  (Read 16631 times)
Blank avatar

djr33

« on: April 07, 2005, 10:58:40 PM »

Hey, guys. Just wanted to post letting everyone know that the board will be going through some changes soon. The forum titles will change a bit, catergories change and some forums willl be merged with others. In the end, it should be less confusing and better for all. We are aiming to have approx. 8 forums in the end.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005, 11:00:47 AM by djr33 » Logged
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2005, 09:05:22 AM »

First step.... The gaming forum has had very little posting, so from now on, any discussion related to gaming will be posted here in social. The Gaming forum will be removed soon.
In the same way... the polls forum is now merged with the forum games.
The tutorials section's topic have been moved to the appropriate filmmaking forum as well.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2005, 09:32:08 AM by djr33 » Logged
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2005, 11:19:21 AM »

We will not tolerate any illegal downloads. Yes, this means pictures. Yes, this means files. Yes, this means anything illegal.

You are free to link to anywhere, but please do not link to files that are illegal.
If you wish to do so, then simply link to another forum with a link to the file, etc...

This include hyperspace pictures.

Bottom line: It's illegal. You have been warned. Your post will be deleted.
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2005, 10:55:34 PM »

Please use this thread to give any suggestions, etc. that you feel would make theBRB.com a better place. We would love to hear any input. It may not be possible, but we will try our best to make it work.

Thanks!

Remember, if there is something that you don't like, let us know and we will try to fix it.
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2005, 10:56:21 PM »

Right now, we are looking for new ways to improve theBRB.com and make it more than just a forum.
If you have any suggestions on how to do so, please let us know.
Blank avatar

wrightfilms2004

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 10:33:23 AM »

One good idea might be to set up some forum rules, such as no single word or single line posts like, "Good job" "Great movie" etc. More good rules could be, no double posting, there's always an edit button; no posting for the sole reason of boosting your numbers, since that can get pretty annoying when you've got a huge flood of like single word post coming in; no swearing or cursing, this is offensive to some people, including me since I'm a Christian and do not think that kind of language is appropriate. Just some suggestions. I've got the same rules on my forum, and it keeps it alot less confusing and cleaner.
Blank avatar

Funk, E

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 10:43:36 AM »

Because everyone should bend to what you think is appropriate.  

Right, thanks for that.  How about, instead of trying to impose your standards on other people, you simply stand by your own and lead by example?

Dear Lord, and I say this with no small amount of irony, do I hate backhanded evangelism.

As a question, though, exactly what kind (as in, how much, anyone who says something like 'digital' will be drawn and quartered into five pieces, that's right, you heard me, five) of bandwidth does teh brb omg have?  I've got an idea, but I'd like to know how feasible it is before putting it forward.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 10:45:56 AM by Funk, E » Logged
Blank avatar

wrightfilms2004

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005, 10:58:22 AM »

It's not backhanded evangelism at all. It is wrong to use profanity. Period. And as for anyone who writes it into their movies, all it does is ruin the movie. I mean, what successful movie has had profanity in it? It's been proven that the moviegoing public enjoys a clean movie more than a movie packed with bad stuff. Like, look at Lord of the Rings. That was the most popular and best selling movie ever, yet it had absolutely no language or sex in it. That's why everyone likes it so much. And now, Hollywood is trying to do what Peter Jackson did, but they still add their garbage to it.

Ok, anyways, back on topic. My point just was that this forum would be better swearing wasn't allowed. Not that it's that big of a problem really.
Blank avatar

Funk, E

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005, 11:06:25 AM »

You totally just proved my point anyway.

Not to drag this further off-topic, but allow me this, please:

I mean, what successful movie has had profanity in it?

Here's a short list, taken from the IMDB's top #250 movies:

1.   9.0   The Godfather (1972)

2.   9.0   The Shawshank Redemption (1994)

4.   8.9   The Godfather: Part II (1974)

10.   8.7   Pulp Fiction (1994)

11.   8.7   One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)

To name a few highly-successful and GOOD films.  The list goes on for miles.

But like you said, it's not like profanity is a problem on this board.  So I think it's quite pointless to make it against the rules, if it's only to stroke your sense of superiority.
Blank avatar

wrightfilms2004

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2005, 11:24:06 AM »

I haven't seen any of those movies, so I wouldn't know. And most of them I haven't heard of until now.
Blank avatar

Funk, E

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2005, 11:28:11 AM »

I am..flabbergasted.

Completely and totally.  You're missing out on some of the pinnacles of the medium here.
Blank avatar

JohnMoore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2005, 01:21:24 PM »

I'm a Christian too.  Cussing doesn't bother me because it's part of communication.  Cuss words are after all, words, aren't they?  I've never seen a scripture that plainly puts cuss words out of the world.

For the reason that they're offensive, I will not have more than the casual damn or crap in my film, and even those will likely be in the action films.  It's saddening how many Christians refuse to watch films with profanity.  However, I absolutely LOVE Band of Brothers, Blackhawk Down, and Braveheart.  Eliminating cuss words isn't my calling in life.

I think that to make this more than just a forum, it could be like fanfilms.  Have a released films list, with links to the threads where the films were released.  Particularly FC's movies.  That'll make this site popular Wink.

The groups is a genius idea.  Too bad there isn't a member database, much like the fanfilms database.  That puts writers, directers, actors, FX artists, musicians, etc, in their own categories.

Just a thought.

While I'm not religious myself, I don't mind the fact that people who are religious think it means they should behave like they have brains. - Daniel Ross [DJR33].

ìI love everyone!î Chase screamed at the top of his lungs. It may not have been profound, but at least it was positive!" -  An excerpt from 'The Story' by Ian Hubert. [MrDodoBird]

"Obviously though, the prerequisite to losing one's social life is actually having one in the first place." - Nick. [Rogue09]
Blank avatar

wrightfilms2004

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2005, 01:33:38 PM »

The groups is a genius idea.  Too bad there isn't a member database, much like the fanfilms database.  That puts writers, directers, actors, FX artists, musicians, etc, in their own categories.

Just a thought.
That's actually what I'm trying to do, build up a database of all the different jobs in film so people can link to eachother, find who they need to do a certain job, etc. I've set up a whole website for it called ChristianMoviemaking.com. It's not only for Christian moviemakers, but anyone involved in moviemaking. Here's the link:

www.christianmoviemaking.com

I'm hoping to eventually get a database thing set up, but for now I just edit everything into the pages themselves. I've got a message board set up on there too. Feel free to join. There's not much happening yet, but hopefuly as the word spreads and I get my name out there more, it'll start to build up.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 01:33:53 PM by wrightfilms2004 » Logged
Blank avatar

JohnMoore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2005, 01:58:24 PM »

Cool.

Unfortunately, there are tons of those sites and, which means tons of competition.  I was referring to something very Big Red Button member specific.

You've got a decent site there, I'll have to check it out more thoroughly.  As for major databases, Doug Phillips (Vision Forum fame) has setup one for the christian crowd, and it has about 300 people in it right now.

I am, unfortunately, not in that database.

Sad

A little young for the tastes of thems likes.  I gotta be 16.  Will be, this upcoming festival.

Hopefully...

While I'm not religious myself, I don't mind the fact that people who are religious think it means they should behave like they have brains. - Daniel Ross [DJR33].

ìI love everyone!î Chase screamed at the top of his lungs. It may not have been profound, but at least it was positive!" -  An excerpt from 'The Story' by Ian Hubert. [MrDodoBird]

"Obviously though, the prerequisite to losing one's social life is actually having one in the first place." - Nick. [Rogue09]
Blank avatar

Fig

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2005, 09:21:59 PM »

What exactly about cussing is wrong? Give me a reason cussing is wrong, and do not reference religious material.

http://www.myspace.com/figchrystie' target='_blank'>MySpace.

http://www.jonvandergriff.com/fig/demo-reel-wmv.wmv' target='_blank'>Demo Reel

http://youtube.com/profile?user=TeagueChrystie' target='_blank'>My movies on YouTube.

http://www.jonvandergriff.com/fig' target='_blank'>The rest of my Movies/Effects/Stuff.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12
  Print  

Jump to: