theBRB Banner

Forum      Theater      Contests      Stockpile

Welcome Guest.

Login | Register

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Saber Fight 2004 - released!  (Read 3245 times)
Blank avatar

durbnpoisn

Administrator & Tech

View Profile WWW
« on: February 12, 2005, 06:01:24 AM »

I almost feel silly posting this here considering that most of you folks have already heard of it through either TFN or NP2k.  But, I suppose there are a few around here that don't haunt either one of those places...  So, here goes!!

At long last, Saber Fight 2004 is about as complete as it will ever be, and is now available for download.

Anyone who's been following things with the Lightsaber Choreography Contest III at TFN, knows that this film was disqualified for the lack of fighting in relation to non-fighting.  I'm not harping on this point (And I don't want anyone else to, either).  It's done...  But it's relevant to mention because, that contest is PRECISELY the reason that so many corners were cut in production of this film.  I'm referring mostly to lack of costumes and sets, but also the length of the film.
In any case, the contest is what gave me the idea for the film to start with.  And I decided it was worth following through with, even if it didn't make the contest.

So, this version has all the FX finished, all the sounds fixed up, and a couple of scenes re-edited.  This is as complete as it will ever be.

The short version of how this came about was, like this...  I had the idea.  I wrote a quick script.  I had in mind right from the beginning that I needed someone else to handle the characters of "2 guys playing a game".  Teague "Fig" Christie not only fit the profile, but I knew I could trust him to direct and shoot the scenes with very little help from me.  Not only that, but I knew I could trust him to take my original script and expand on it.  And that's exactly what he did.  So, whereas the original idea and script were mine, a lot of what you see from Fig's part was very much created by him.

Without further blabbering, here it is:
Saber Fight 2004

For a change, I'm looking for any real constructive criticism on this one.  I hope you enjoy the film for what it is, even if it is lacking in some production values.

And on one more personal note:  Thank you to all the folks that saw the rough cut of this film and commented on it.  That was what gave me the encouragement to follow it through!!

Blank avatar

Mrdodobird

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2005, 05:49:03 PM »

I haven't forgotten about you! I'm still gonna get you those crazy papers! I just haven't seen the dude yet.

I will though! I will!!!
Blank avatar

Mrdodobird

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2005, 06:12:45 PM »

DUDE! Durb! That was sweet! I really wish I'd known the end result was going to be that awesome, cause then we could have done an all nighter figuring out the choreography, and we wouldn't have moved the freaking camera!

That turned out great. That was hilarious! Ahh. I loved it.

Great work.  
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2005, 12:08:00 AM »

that requires 3 responses:
1- awesome, awesome.... awesome.
2- i see why it was disqualified... the choreography wasnt really that stunning (not bad, just not a focus) and people would have voted for your story, not for choreo... though i think thats an odd contest anyway Tongue
3- i look dumb Smiley (should've sent a decent picture... Tongue)
Blank avatar

no1jedi

VIP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2005, 10:11:40 AM »

Once again I must comment on the excellent rotoscoping... Cheesy  Tongue  
Blank avatar

Fredrick Von Shwinkel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2005, 10:22:27 PM »

DUDE!!! (sorry this is such a late post, I just joined today) Wow...coolness!! haha, that just blew my mind, great job. Havent experiment in the whole Light saber creation, did you just do Photoshop's Film strip frame by frame editing to create the sabors?? Or is there some other way to do it?

Nevertheless it was really cool. Ian I didn't know you were involved with these punks/well groomed filmakers! I saw your charecter and I was like...thats Ian!

heh heh... fun to watch!

What the hell is this guy? A level 7 Dwarf-Mage?? LOL
« Last Edit: March 03, 2005, 10:43:01 PM by Fredrick Von Shwinkel » Logged

A man wakes up after a horrible acc!dent and says ìDoctor doctor, I canít feel my legs!î to which the doctor replies ìI know you canít, I cut off your arms.î

oooh...

I <3 GoogleBot
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2005, 11:02:47 PM »

the sabers were done with AE... adobe After Effects. Its basically like photoshop, but you can work with the entire clip at the same time and it can fill in some of the in between frames for you...

in our tutorial section, we have a link to ryan w's site and he has tutorials for just this.
(http://www.thebrb.com/tutorials)
Blank avatar

Fredrick Von Shwinkel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2005, 11:20:04 PM »

^^ ah skimmed right over it on Ryan's site...cool...I showed it to my stepdad who works at microsoft, and he wanted the web address so he could forward it to his boss  Cheesy People like it!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2005, 11:20:55 PM by Fredrick Von Shwinkel » Logged

A man wakes up after a horrible acc!dent and says ìDoctor doctor, I canít feel my legs!î to which the doctor replies ìI know you canít, I cut off your arms.î

oooh...

I <3 GoogleBot
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: