theBRB Banner

Forum      Theater      Contests      Stockpile

Welcome Guest.

Login | Register

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: First episode released  (Read 20774 times)
Blank avatar

Funk, E

« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2006, 04:21:14 PM »

Xvid's a good codec, and really widespread.  Don't listen to Dan, he's (surprise surprise) in the wrong here.

It's actually encoded in H.246 right now, and IMO it's a super-overrated codec. Bleah.
Blank avatar

Mrdodobird

« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2006, 04:36:34 PM »

Geez. This is the 3rd time this has happened. It compressed all fine and dandy, to 70 mb, but I can't watch it. Freezes ever time I try. It happens every time I render out the whole thing...

Anyone run into this before?
Blank avatar

Funk, E

« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2006, 04:44:39 PM »

...No.  

Send it to me, I'll see if I can find what's wrong.
Blank avatar

Mrdodobird

« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2006, 04:59:39 PM »

Well, I do believe I deleted it (I rarely keep around files that freeze up my comp)... checking recycle bin...

Apparently I'm rendering over it right now...

But I'm doing another render. I don't remember what I changed, but I'll send it to you when done if it doesn't work again. Thanks, dude.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 04:59:53 PM by Mrdodobird » Logged
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2006, 05:02:38 PM »

Use quicktime. Try H.264, MPEG4 or something else. They'll be fine.

Xvid is like DivX... hence the name. Copying each other. They're just not compatible. You need their player/codec and not everyone has it. If you've got a qt version too, it's probly ok, but not the best solution for being compatible for everyone.
It also limits features. I hate wmv... you can't go frame by frame. I do that ALL the time... hate not having it...

Xvid's a good codec, and really widespread
Funk... see above.
Also, thanks for all the comments. Don't worry, I don't like you either Smiley
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 05:04:28 PM by djr33 » Logged
Blank avatar

JohnMoore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2006, 05:13:22 PM »

The goal, Dan, isn't widespread.  The H.264 version handles that.  Everyone that even cares about high resolution/vs./low resolution, is willing to make it work.

Everybody complains about DivX/Xvid not being compatible, but really, I have never, EVER, used a computer that didn't have it.  It's like Quicktime.  You have to download it and install it, just like DivX/Xvid.  But once you've installed it, you never really have a problem after that.  It just works.

EDIT:

For the record, the guys at Red Vs. Blue should know something about digital video distribution.  After all, they get about 20,000 downloads for every episode they make.

What three formats do they use?  Quicktime, Windows Media, and DivX.

What is the most downloaded?  If you said Quicktime, you lose.  It's Windows Media.  What is the second most downloaded?  If you said Quicktime, you lose again.  It's DivX.  The least popular is Quicktime.

Just a thought.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 05:15:46 PM by JohnMoore » Logged

While I'm not religious myself, I don't mind the fact that people who are religious think it means they should behave like they have brains. - Daniel Ross [DJR33].

ìI love everyone!î Chase screamed at the top of his lungs. It may not have been profound, but at least it was positive!" -  An excerpt from 'The Story' by Ian Hubert. [MrDodoBird]

"Obviously though, the prerequisite to losing one's social life is actually having one in the first place." - Nick. [Rogue09]
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2006, 05:14:53 PM »

Hmm... ok. As long as there is still a QT release, fine.

I just like how QT allows you to watch the movie as you want... rewatch certain things and go frame by frame. wmv bugs the heck out of me for that.
Blank avatar

Funk, E

« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2006, 05:15:24 PM »

Psst:  For Quicktime, you also need the codec.  That's how video players work.  Just sit back and realize you don't know what you're talking about here, let the big boys talk shop.  Xvid's probably your best bet outside of the new WMV stuff, and Xvid is free.

Also, The DivX people originally ripped off a bunch of the Xvid code, but now the two codecs have essentially nothing in common.
Blank avatar

JohnMoore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2006, 05:16:23 PM »

I just edited my post.

While I'm not religious myself, I don't mind the fact that people who are religious think it means they should behave like they have brains. - Daniel Ross [DJR33].

ìI love everyone!î Chase screamed at the top of his lungs. It may not have been profound, but at least it was positive!" -  An excerpt from 'The Story' by Ian Hubert. [MrDodoBird]

"Obviously though, the prerequisite to losing one's social life is actually having one in the first place." - Nick. [Rogue09]
Blank avatar

Mrdodobird

« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2006, 05:21:13 PM »

Hehe. I've long suspected that the reason people around here like quicktime is the frame by frame capabilities (though most AVI's can do that too, Windows media player certainly can), cause they like anylizing the effects.

It could be me, but a piece of me dies every time someone said, "I Just saw your movie! The effects were incredible!!!" I'm like... dang... What about the story?

It's a love hate relationship. -random...

Although yeah, there's only one place in my whole school where I can play the video with the H.2342124 codec. None of the rest have been updated. Of course, they can play sorenson 3, but I haven't exported it like that yet.

This new version will be about 120 mb, I think. Too large? I don't think so. We'll see. Let me know your thoughts...
Blank avatar

JohnMoore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2006, 05:24:03 PM »

I'd download 120.

It'd take me a little while, but I'd download that for SBFP, definitely.

That is, if I haven't already used my daily bandwidth up...

In that case, I'd download it the next day.  Cheesy

Blank avatar

Funk, E

« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2006, 05:30:39 PM »

120 is pretty large for the length of the file you've got...
Blank avatar

JohnMoore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2006, 05:33:34 PM »

Less than ten megs a minute, isn't it?

I didn't think that was too bad.  In fact, I thought it was pretty good, really.

But then again, I have no clue what I'm talking about because I rarely compress DivX files. I just watch them.

Blank avatar

FrogRat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2006, 06:32:21 PM »

Speaking of codecs...HOW BOUT THAT EPISODE?! I'm sure theres a forum elsewhere for this downward spiral of technobabble   :lol: . Anyone else have any comments about the movie?

"Why do you always have to touch everything!?"-Ian Hubert
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2006, 07:27:28 PM »

Ian, with 120, you can simply use QT without the aforementioned issues, and maybe make it full rez.
It should be smaller, or, if that size, full rez/quality. Which is a cool option.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: