theBRB Banner

Forum      Theater      Contests      Stockpile

Welcome Guest.

Login | Register

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Right Thing?  (Read 3942 times)
Blank avatar

Yodaman

Mystic Muppet

View Profile WWW
« on: May 04, 2006, 01:01:24 PM »

Back when I working on Chapter 13 and the Complete Edition of the Han Solo Adventures I met up with this one composer. He said he's do an origonal piece for the end credits of HSA, but he was very busy and couldn't finish it in time. He did say he'd want to do the score for Star Wars Tales. I have been somewhat in contact with him and he says he's still interested. However, a couple months ago I finished the first of the tales and sent it to him for scoring. I told him I didn't need this for a long time but it might be good if he got a head start. Almost a month latter he replied saying he'd do it as soon as he could. That was in late March. I don't know if I should try to talk to him about it or not. It might just give him more unneeded stress and he might be very busy. Plus I really don't need it now. The movie's nowhere near done. However, I can see in the future me nagging at him to get it done about a month before I plan to release the film and him just giving up at the last minute, leaving me to rush to find another composer and move the release back (which is what happened to Ideality). I also met another composer who is known for scoring very quickly yet having great quality and he'd do it in a heartbeat. What should I do? I don't want him to think I'm a demanding, whinney b****†but I want to do what's best for my film.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 01:05:18 PM by Yodaman » Logged

I'm Yoda. I'm soldier. I mold ya, then fold ya, I thought I told ya. Don't be unwise, judge me not by my size. You won't believe your eyes. Watch the X-Wing rise.

http://www.swtales.tk' target='_blank'>Pain is temporary- Tales are Forever.
Blank avatar

starwalker

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 02:08:15 PM »

The same things happen in life every day, you just have to learn whats best in this situation. I say send the guy an email, saying something like this.

Hey bud,

Just seein if you've started on the score for sw tales. I have another guy interested in doing it, and if you dont think you have the time, because of more hire priorities, i can take the weight off your shoulders. I mean, I know how it is sometimes, everyone gets bogged down with massive work. So if you dont think you can get it done, thats fine and completely understandable, if so, nice. Also, I was wondering if its possible to have this finished by a certain date, because the deadline is drawing nearer everday.

Thanks again man, I hope everything is well

Yup, copy/paste/change that if you want, but that sounds good to me.

Infact, I do this same thing everyday with my concept artists for my fan film, I check in every day to make sure there still working and interested, because if there just going to waste my time, then I need to find someone else as quick as possible, thats just how it is.

Hope that helps
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 06:17:09 PM »

There's nothing to figure out here. The guy is really bad at keeping in touch. Worked with people like that myself.
Sometimes they come through, sometimes not.

Here's what you do:
Email him saying "I haven't heard from you in a while. I need to know you'll get this  done, on time, and that it isn't too big a deal for you because I need to have it without it not being done", etc, in your own words.
Then, if he replies with "sure, i promise I will"... accept... right? (if not, then the answer is clear... use the other guy)
if he says he can't, then use the other guy.

Just be honest, saying you need him to do it or not.
Tell him, if you want, that you have anther composer in mind, and, its FINE if he says no, and that you can use him instead if he's too busy.

People management.... though, I have noticed that you have a tendancy to overreact to people being slow... but... we'll see. Sounds like it has been a while.
Blank avatar

Tyler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 07:53:59 PM »

Yeah, that sounds really unprofessional.  I would want to keep in touch frequently with the director, regardless of when the project needs to be finished.

http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/3534/fakecello4qp.gif' border='0' alt='user posted image' />
An IMDb user praising this "diverse" and "complex" music:
"Look at the incredible variety of themes he does - from Gladiator, a masterpiece, to Matchstick Men, a fun, jazzy style, then Pirates - a theme that moviegoers (however musically inclined they may be) will never forget. These scores are not only more diverse, but more complex as well."    :-\
Blank avatar

Yodaman

Mystic Muppet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 04:00:29 AM »

Here's what I wrote him:

Not to sound pissy or like a whiney   or anything, but I havn't heard from you in a while. A long while. I completely understand if your life is at a hectic point now and scoring a cheap fan film is at the very bottom in your list of priorities, but I want to know if you're seriously committed to doing this. I know that the release date is far from here, but that doesn't mean nothing can get done now. Like I said last time I had a little piece for you to score. Please don't get mad at me for saying this but if you can't do it by mid-July ish I'm going to have someone else do it. Don't feel bad if you drop out. I have someone in mind who'll do it in a heartbeat. Two of the pieces on your website (Massiva 2 and Underground) are going to be in the film anyway so even if you decide to drop out you'll hear your work in the film anyway and you'll be credited. I'd love to have you score it but I don't want to have the release date thrown around just because I don't have a score ready. Thank you for volunteering and good luck everything.

Danny

I'm Yoda. I'm soldier. I mold ya, then fold ya, I thought I told ya. Don't be unwise, judge me not by my size. You won't believe your eyes. Watch the X-Wing rise.

Blank avatar

Tyler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2006, 09:07:21 AM »

Thank you for volunteering and good luck everything.

D'oh!

Nicely done!

http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/3534/fakecello4qp.gif' border='0' alt='user posted image' />
"Look at the incredible variety of themes he does - from Gladiator, a masterpiece, to Matchstick Men, a fun, jazzy style, then Pirates - a theme that moviegoers (however musically inclined they may be) will never forget. These scores are not only more diverse, but more complex as well."    :-\
Blank avatar

Yodaman

Mystic Muppet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2006, 12:21:54 PM »

Thanks  Smiley . BTW in case you're interested I have his reply onhand, and I havn't responded yet so if you have any last minute advice now's the time.

Hi Danny,

Sorry for not keeping in touch, but I honestly though I'd be hearing something
more from You before I started doing anything.

Anyway, if You have another interested composer, go ahead and use that guy
instead. My life is a bit messy right now, and scoring has been down
prioritized as a whole (not just Your movie, but everything).

I'm about to try and work as a (semi)professional stuntman, which takes
a lot of
hard work (besides my current 9-5 work), and some thinking. I might return as
the composing stuntman, who knows...

All the best, and let me know how everything turns out...

Regards,

Fredrik Blom

Blank avatar

TechKrill

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2006, 01:10:26 PM »

So Tyler, what's your summer looking like? Smiley You John Williams fan you.
Blank avatar

Tyler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2006, 03:02:40 PM »

^lol, way to go off-topic... Wink

I want to go to Miami this week!  Let's make plans, forthwith!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: