theBRB Banner

Forum      Theater      Contests      Stockpile

Welcome Guest.

Login | Register

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Extreme snap zoom with two shots  (Read 5560 times)
Blank avatar

djr33

« on: April 24, 2006, 04:04:48 PM »

I've seen this a bunch in Ian's stuff, as well as other stuff...

what's the basic explanation for how to do it?
Blank avatar

Mrdodobird

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 04:28:31 PM »

Wait... could you describe more specifically which one you're talking about? I have 3-4 different things that could be described as "Snap Zooms". Smiley
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 06:04:20 PM »

You have a far shot, then the camera SNAPS to a closeup. It kinda blurs, but is really smooth. Like you just SNAPPED the zoom twisty thing on the camera to closeup from far.... in like 5 frames.
Blank avatar

Mrdodobird

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 06:09:12 PM »

Well, there are 3 ways I do that.

1. Just get the first shot, zoom in (or, as I like to do it, actually run with the camera straight up to the subject), and continue the shot, speeding up the shot to like 500-2000% later in Premiere.

2. Get one shot, then zoom in (or more camera closer), and get next shot. In AE, position the close up shot where it belongs in the wide shot, parent it to the wide shot, then zoom in on that quickly, so it goes from the wide filling the screen to the narrow. Many times it helps to have the narrow fade in about half way through.

3. This way is hard, and I'm not really gonna explain it, but it involves pretty much just taking a bunch of shots, tracing them, and kinda recreating the world in 3d out of frames from the video, then moving the camera quickly through that. Which can be sweet.

Yup!
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 06:11:29 PM »

method 3.... you're saying use AE or blender or?
I get what you're saying.. and just curious.

Ok... i'll check out the first two. Thanks.

See... i've got problems... didn't film to accomplish this, but it would really fit now. I've got far and close shots... but... yeah. Heh Smiley
Blank avatar

Mrdodobird

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 06:24:36 PM »

I do it in AE with 3d layers.

Excited to see what you come up with.  
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 06:27:37 PM »

Yeah... me too.

It might not work out, though, cause it was all filmed with a handheld cam, moving (on purpose) and didn't plan to get any closeups of the same shots as the far shots. I have a bunch of stuff though.... we'll see what I can do Smiley
Blank avatar

Funk, E

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 06:51:38 PM »

Shine is actually your friend on this, and can make it super easy.
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2006, 11:44:00 PM »

Hmm.... so... rather than blur, confused the viewer with a shine?

Neat idea.

Random thought... I think I get this, but I'd love a tutorial. And I'm sure it would help others. It's a fun and, something rare, USEFUL.

Just some food for thought if anyone feels like writing a tut.
Blank avatar

JohnMoore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 09:21:15 AM »

David kinda did this with the documentary we're making.

Interesting.

While I'm not religious myself, I don't mind the fact that people who are religious think it means they should behave like they have brains. - Daniel Ross [DJR33].

ìI love everyone!î Chase screamed at the top of his lungs. It may not have been profound, but at least it was positive!" -  An excerpt from 'The Story' by Ian Hubert. [MrDodoBird]

"Obviously though, the prerequisite to losing one's social life is actually having one in the first place." - Nick. [Rogue09]
Blank avatar

Funk, E

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006, 12:25:58 PM »

Once I get my AE running again, I'll run you through how to do it in AE with Shine.
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006, 03:56:59 PM »

Great.

Post  here? Write a tut (that would be great for the stockpile)? Want to talk on aim?

Lemme know... whatever works for you.

thanks Smiley
Blank avatar

ObiJuan2080

Administrator and Contest Supervisor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2006, 07:38:47 AM »

I would just zoom in with the cam (no running as it would become jumpy), take it into Premiere, speed it up where the zoom takes place bring it to AE, blur it and add some shine where the fast zoom takes place. Its very easy and you wouldn't have to worry about obvious cuts if its all one footage. Of course this would be for a reaction shot.

Now if the actor needs to say something after the zoom then I'll have to run...or better yet use something with wheels for a smooth approach just to get the mic up close but my method will remain the same in post.

One more approach to this would be if you had those small wireless mics (I forgot the name of it) then you can just zoom with the cam. Once again my method remains the same in post.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 07:42:15 AM by ObiJuan2080 » Logged
Blank avatar

Mrdodobird

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2006, 01:41:50 PM »

Now wait, does shine also do awesome radial blurs, or just the "Shine" effect?

I mean, if not, if you have a nice snap zoom and everything, then you make it a "Flash of light!" it would kinda draw attention to itself, and make people go, "WHAO! what was that?"

But you're probably not talking about that.  
Blank avatar

Funk, E

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2006, 02:38:07 PM »

Shine also does awesome radial blurs.

But I'm AE-less at the moment, so I can't demonstrate.  Gimme a day.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: