theBRB Banner

Forum      Theater      Contests      Stockpile

Welcome Guest.

Login | Register

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wednesday  (Read 3743 times)
Blank avatar

FCRabbath

« on: April 13, 2006, 07:56:52 AM »

I have sent 3 people PMs of WEDNESDAY. Once you watch it, review it here. MERCI!

Ps- NO SPOILERS!
Blank avatar

lilyofshallot

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 11:38:20 AM »

oooo!  I want to see!
Blank avatar

starwalker

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 12:16:19 PM »

Okay, Freddy approached me with this and I couldnt turn it down.

Here's my review of Wednsday(the parts that I saw)

The hand held shots where nice, you perfected it, unlike in your other movies where there was a bit to much motion, this one was perfect. Cinematography was on key as usual, you broke away from your mold that you where into for a while, pretty nice distance shots and stuff.

Acting, I like the change of actors, the main character has a cool aura around him that makes you want to laugh...which is good and bad. The other actor was really good, seemed completely natural.

One scene stuck out in my mind, and i cant say what it is, but its the scene in the beggining that kind of sucks for one character, I thought there needed to be more emotion in it...it wasnt bad acting, just was a little to..well not happy, but up beat for the situation.

Music was excellent...I hope this isnt temp score, because if it is, use this...its perfect...umm, lighting was good, I like the contrast at the random swans and stuff, very cool...color correction fits in with this, excellent as always...seems you did it a little different this time, and stayed close to normal...if this wasnt color corrected, you can handle your cam excellently

From what I saw, it was very good, different style...or so it seemed to...cant wait to see the finished product!
Blank avatar

TechKrill

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 05:10:39 PM »

Different definately describes this particular clip...breaking out of your usual style and tendancies, which is a big step in the right direction. I do feel, however, that you need to develop a few of those techniques a little bit more.

Overall, don't get me wrong, I am looking forward to the finished product. But this clip had some small oversights. The worst and most obvious being at 3:30 when you very abruptly crossed the axis of action. It was a beautiful shot...from the wrong side...go through and you'll see what I mean.

The rest of it didn't flow quite right, maybe tighten up the editing a bit, as I can't find any SINGLE reason to say it didn't feel right. When the two main actors were speaking, and you were cutting between them, somehow they looked far apart, then you move to a shot with both of them and they're right beside each other.

Little things, but you're experimenting with it all anyway, so for a first attempt, you're well on your way.

Despite any shortcomings in this clip, many of which could conceivably be fixed with a little tighter editing, it still far surpases 90% of the shorts posted online that I've viewed Smiley And from FCRabbath, we can expect nothing less.
Blank avatar

JohnMoore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 05:14:07 PM »

Quite frankly, I loved it.  Everything worked together to be a perfect blend of things for me, and I wished the clip hadn't ended.

The camera movements and cinematography are excellent, though I thought the color correction might have been a bit harsh.  Maybe not though.

If you're going for a more somber mood, the editing should be loosened.  I thought the editing was a perfect mix allowing for drama, and yet a good bunch of slightly comedic moments that allow an audience to be with the character, no matter what their mood is.

Not to mention, excellent acting.  It was very, incredibly awesome.  In my opinion.

But yeah, ease up on the color correction.  :-)

While I'm not religious myself, I don't mind the fact that people who are religious think it means they should behave like they have brains. - Daniel Ross [DJR33].

ìI love everyone!î Chase screamed at the top of his lungs. It may not have been profound, but at least it was positive!" -  An excerpt from 'The Story' by Ian Hubert. [MrDodoBird]

"Obviously though, the prerequisite to losing one's social life is actually having one in the first place." - Nick. [Rogue09]
Blank avatar

Magus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 05:20:51 PM »

Everyone before me has really said everything that needs to be said, so I unno what else to say.

Good cnematography better hand held... Mmm Tss

The end of this clip made me giggle because it looked so wrong... but yeah... pretty snazzy... Good change of actors, still surprizes me how you get so many good actors :shrugs:

Keep it up! XD

And I saw a mountain, and I saw a city;
Steadily sinking but suspiciously calm
Blank avatar

TechKrill

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 05:55:08 PM »

By the way, Fred, keep in mind that you asked me to be as brutal as possible, so I'm critiquing your films on what I feel to be a "professional" level. Anyone on these boards, TFN, and other amateure filmaking boards would be impressed with any of your films as-is, myself included. I'm just trying to see how a professional would look at your film.

So yea...your films ARE good, just has little problems. I felt this had to be said in light of JohnMoore's post.

And I personally didn't notice any color correction...but that's just me.

And I forgot to mention the canted camera outside the US Courthouse...it looked funky. Smiley
Blank avatar

jedimastermonkey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2006, 06:37:57 PM »

That was a lot different that your other work. but in a good way. I liked the camera shots and the story seems interesting from what I've seen. I noticed the camera jerked a little in one place, so you may be able to smooth it out. Looks pretty good good at this point.

http://myspace-806.vo.llnwd.net/00115/60/88/115188806_l.gif' border='0' alt='user posted image' />
Fall away, spiral out...
http://thebrbforums.com/html/emoticons/monkeytfn.gif' border='0' alt='user posted image' />
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: