theBRB Banner

Forum      Theater      Contests      Stockpile

Welcome Guest.

Login | Register

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Trivia game  (Read 18060 times)
Blank avatar

durbnpoisn

Administrator & Tech

View Profile WWW
« on: April 09, 2006, 07:42:11 PM »

Well...  It did well for a while.  But, it's kind of petered out.  I commend the regular members at NP2k for entertaining this game for 24 pages.  But, it seems to have gone rather dry.  So, I figured I'd start a new version here.  Different people.  Different type of people...  Who knows how it will go?  Cheesy

This is the basic gist....  With all the new rules from the original posting intact:

All of these rules apply to those POSTING questions as well as those ANSWERING questions.

- No research of any kind is allowed.  You must post your questions/answers based purely on what is already in your head.  No cheating.  Honour system.  Don't be a prick.  No one wants to be a prick.
- Questions are general knowledge, intermediate level
- No trick questions.  Seriously.  Don't cross the line with that kind of nonsense.
- 5 questions per round.
- Answers to questions are posted via PM to the current owner of the game.  Not in public.
- In matters of dispute, the person with complaint must PM a valid, verifyable source, to the owner, to prove that they are correct.  The owner of the game has first say.  If dispute continues, I WILL HAVE FINAL SAY.  (It's my game after all...)
- Questions are posted in the following format:
subject
question

- Multipart questions are allowed, but only if a single part version would be too easy.
- The owner of the game is the one who won the previous round.
- In the event of a tie, the owner will a post a 3 question tie breaker round for the tied players only (announce who they are).  This continues until one player wins the series of tie breaker rounds.  Players who don't at least match the tie in those rounds are eliminated.
- Answers to each round are to be posted at the same time that any round ends.  This means that when a round, or tie breaker round ends, you post the answers to the previous round, and then the new questions, etc...

Alrighty then.  This first set of questions is also the last set of questions that was posted on NP2k, the place where this game originated.  Players from NP2k are exempt from this round for obvious reasons.

Astronomy/movies/books:
Ford Prefect was from "small planet in the vicinity of Betelgeuse."  In what constellation can that star be seen?

History:
Who was Vice President under Richard Nixon?

Animals:
Why do seals periodically beach themselves? (And it's not to commit suicide or give birth)

Movies:
Who wrote and directed "Dumb and Dumber"?

Music/instruments:
Name 2 guitar or bass players who play left handed.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 07:48:42 PM by durbnpoisn » Logged

Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 10:29:43 PM »

I'm confused. I know three of those answers. Do I send them to you via PM?
Or?
Blank avatar

durbnpoisn

Administrator & Tech

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 04:17:27 AM »

Yes.  And guess on the two you don't know.  May as well try.

Blank avatar

durbnpoisn

Administrator & Tech

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2006, 06:34:17 AM »

Wow...  I never expected this game to be such a dismal failure...  Sad

I thought this place had more traffic going on...  Bummer...

Well...  I regret that the game has died for lack of participation.  Thank you to the one person that played.

Blank avatar

Yodaman

Mystic Muppet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2006, 06:48:32 AM »

Sorry but I just had no clue about the answers  Sad  

I'm Yoda. I'm soldier. I mold ya, then fold ya, I thought I told ya. Don't be unwise, judge me not by my size. You won't believe your eyes. Watch the X-Wing rise.

http://www.swtales.tk' target='_blank'>Pain is temporary- Tales are Forever.
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2006, 12:06:59 PM »

Yeah, Ken, no offense, but some of those questions were pretty out there. Also, having five was kinda discouraging. I did guess, but... don't remember getting a response to my answers.
We could always rework it and try again.
Blank avatar

primetime62

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2006, 01:04:11 PM »

Yeah, I agree, I was hoping someone would answer these and put some new ones out there.  Really couldn't answer as I saw the answers on NP2k

Camden Pike
Founder of Pickel Productions
http://www.pickelproductions.net/' target='_blank'>Pickel Productions Official Website
http://reality.pickelproductions.net/' target='_blank'>Latest Film "Reality" Official Website
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2006, 02:08:47 PM »

What's wrong with one question at a time?

And set a rule that if it's not answered in 3 days, then it defaults to a new question. That will not allow any terribly difficult questions.
Blank avatar

durbnpoisn

Administrator & Tech

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 12:19:25 PM »

Yeah, Ken, no offense, but some of those questions were pretty out there. Also, having five was kinda discouraging. I did guess, but... don't remember getting a response to my answers.
We could always rework it and try again.
Well, for what it's worth...  I didn't think those questions were hard at all.  But, then, everyone's level of trivia is different.  Plus, I'm like twice the age of everyone around here.  :geezer:

As far as the game format...  I started it over at NP2k, and it got a really good response - for a while.  Then it lost steam, as things do.  Anyway... The format really worked fine.

There is not much of a point in 1 question at a time...  That's not much of a game.  The idea is to answer best out of 5, and whoever gets the most wins.  Can't really play that way one at a time...

If you guys wanna come up with a new idea on how to play, I'm game.  But, I really think there needs to be a helluva lot more traffic here for this to ever even get off the ground.

Anyway...  Answers...

Astronomy/movies/books:
Ford Prefect was from "small planet in the vicinity of Betelgeuse." In what constellation can that star be seen?

Orion.  It's the shoulder.

History:
Who was Vice President under Richard Nixon?

Spiro Agnew, until he resigned.  Then Ford came in.

Animals:
Why do seals periodically beach themselves? (And it's not to commit suicide or give birth)

To digest their last meal.

Movies:
Who wrote and directed "Dumb and Dumber"?

Ferelly Brothers

Music/instruments:
Name 2 guitar or bass players who play left handed.

Jimmy Hendrix and Paul McCartney were the two I had in mind.  But there are many.

Blank avatar

primetime62

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 01:10:17 PM »

Well I knew a couple answers, but anyways I think the design is pretty good already for the most part. I deffinently understand why to have five questions. But I do like the reverting to new questions after three days. Anyway's think you could post five more Ken?

Camden Pike
http://www.pickelproductions.net/' target='_blank'>Pickel Productions Official Website
http://reality.pickelproductions.net/' target='_blank'>Latest Film "Reality" Official Website
Blank avatar

Mrdodobird

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2006, 01:18:49 PM »

Heh. Yeah, call me an idiot, but I didn't really know any of em.

Wait.... so you don't have to know them all, just get the most right?

Ahhh!

Cause yeah, I really wanted to play this, I just didn't know em without research. But I shall at least guess in the future.

Another round possible?
Blank avatar

durbnpoisn

Administrator & Tech

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2006, 06:15:48 PM »

Yeah.  I'll do another round.  Maybe later tonight.  With easier questions. Tongue  

Blank avatar

primetime62

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2006, 06:38:06 PM »

Yeah! Questions for special people!  Smiley)  

Camden Pike
Blank avatar

durbnpoisn

Administrator & Tech

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2006, 07:27:16 AM »

Reminder of the rules:
ï No research is allowed.  This goes for the person asking the questions as well as those answering.
ï 5 questions posted.  Guess if you don't know.
ï Whoever gets the most correct wins that round and runs the next round
ï No multi-part questions unless it's absolutely necessary.
ï Answers sent in PM.  Don't post them here in the thread.
ï In the event of a tie, a 3 question tie-breaker with harder questions comes up.  Only those that are tied are allowed to answer that round.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

Astronomy:

Which planet in this solar system has the most moons?

Music

Where is Avril Lavigne from? (city/country)

Computers

What does CPU stand for?

TV

Which Monty Python regular said the following:  "This parrot is no more! It has ceased to be! It's expired and gone to meet its maker!" ?

Science

What is considered neutral on the pH scale?

Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2006, 08:56:59 AM »

PM sent.

I think that the PM system discourages poeple participating because  the thread drops and it's really boring unless you are the one sending.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: