theBRB Banner

Forum      Theater      Contests      Stockpile

Welcome Guest.

Login | Register

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Ideality Music  (Read 11998 times)
Blank avatar

CyberCitizen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2006, 07:01:51 PM »

All looks great on the western front! Can't. Wait. For Actual. Movie.

Am headed to extinction. Please Donate.

http://www.xanga.com/danielaaron' target='_blank'>http://www.xanga.com/danielaaron
Blank avatar

bustatunez

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2006, 07:37:41 PM »

I have more samples of my work on the site - http://www.rogetmusic.com/music.html

As far as a "preferred style", I really just like to match up with whatever the film calls for. For example:

Intense suspense leading up to an action packed chase scene

Heroic, epic fantasy battle

Exploring ancient tombs and awakening a thousand-year-old curse

Peaceful, emotional scenery

And of course, Star Wars inspired action

Blank avatar

starwalker

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2006, 07:58:07 PM »

^^^ your stuff is truely amazing...may ask for your help in the future...excellent stuff...Ian...I'd say go with Wilbert for Ideality and the other dude for SBFP.
Blank avatar

bustatunez

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2006, 08:05:41 PM »

About collaborating, I wouldn't mind it so long as we're both credited as composers. Although I write in a bunch of styles, my real "specialty" I guess is in writing main themes that fit the film and grab the audience into the world the director wants to paint.

I think that if you enjoy music from both of us, the best solution would be as follows:

- Send us both the film, unscored (ie. with no previously-written tracks)
- Meet with Miszou and me over AIM to talk through the film and your artistic vision
- Miszou and I compile a list of tracks that we think are appropriate for the film (stuff we've already written), and send it to you for your approval and spotting suggestions

Once this "preproduction" of the score is finished (should take only 1-3 days if we're all on the ball with the meetings), we could move into the production phase:

- Miszou would choose which parts of the film he'd write a *new* score for, and put in our previously-composed tracks for other scenes
- I'd write a main/intro theme,
- Miszou would write the aforementioned new cues he's selected

This way we'd both have music in the film, the score would be completed far quicker, and Miszou would get valuable practice in both composing to film AND editing music for the scenes. Also, since we'd be spotting and composing together, the film would have a much more unified sound than if you were to just find random tracks online (this is especially true when there's a main theme).

Sound good?
Blank avatar

Magus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2006, 08:11:26 PM »

Wow! You started Ideality when you were MY age? =O! That's crazy!

Didn't know it took THAT long =X

And I saw a mountain, and I saw a city;
Steadily sinking but suspiciously calm
Blank avatar

Mrdodobird

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2006, 08:22:49 PM »

Well, I still don't know if Miszou even has any interest in SBFP. He may like this one cause it's fast, and pretty much done. Heck, I don't even know if he knows anything about SBFP.

Hey Will, what time zone are ya in? (Just wondering if it's too late to call now.) And you say you have AIM? Miszou, do you have AIM? It'd be cool to talk with both of you in the same window.

I'm always kinda frightened when I work with artists, cause I never know if I may accidentially offend one of them (like, by suggesting collaborative composing. I see now that that could have been an insult to whatever "flow" you would have wanted in your score", and Miszou may have inteurpreted my bringing you in as second guessing him.

If I ever make a mistake that bugs you, just understand that I'm kinda new to how all of this composer stuff works Wink I can type without thinking.

Right now your suggestion is sounding VERY good, Will. How's that sound to you, Miszou (is that your name, or a nickname? or just your Screenname?)? We can obviously tweak a bit till we find something we all like.

Yeah, I gotta admit, when I first posted this thread, for some reason I just never thought of a "single composer". Odd.  
Blank avatar

Miszou

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2006, 08:25:13 PM »

I'm envious of your superior orchestral samples bustatunez. (Can I call you Will?--kinda gets old typing all that out over and over again) I like your way of grabbing the main theme honors all to yourself. Tongue It really doesn't matter to me, so I won't make a fuss. Great stuff as always, and I probably have all your demos somewhere on my hard drive anyway.  Smiley  

To mrdodobird (and Will): Sure, I wouldn't mind dividing up the work. I won't even pretend to have the abilities (and orchestral samples) of Will....yet Tongue
Plus, forty minutes is a bit longer than I expected. Frankly, as long as I can score a fight scene or two, and maybe another music-driven scene in the film, I'm happy.
Any more would be a bonus.

Two more....

"Vengeance" - orchestral Star Wars-esque

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=3371199&q=hi

"Rock Demo" - catchy title eh? Could fit a battle theme.

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=3701405&q=hi

Does this fly with you bustatunez? I'm sure that you're disappointed that you can't do the whole thing yourself, but remember back when you first started out? That's me now.  Smiley

About your other project, mrdodobird, I'll think about it. I've got a lot of other projects that I want to do on my own already. We'll see. For now, you could post a list of what scenes need music and we can start hashing it out, or post a link to the film. Whatever works.

-----------EDIT after I posted the above, there were about four new replies---------

You guys can call me Greg because, well, that's my name. My AIM is mchawk19 if you want to contact me, and I'm in the Central Time Zone (if you didn't know that).

Obviously, bustatunez is the more seasoned composer; I really just started about 5 months ago. Like I said, scoring an entire 40 minute film is a little more than I want to (or can) undertake right now. A collaboration sounds great. I could go on, but we'll just talk it out over AIM.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 08:52:15 PM by Miszou » Logged
Blank avatar

bustatunez

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2006, 10:40:42 PM »

Cool - my AIM s/n is "bustatunez", and you can just call me Will (I much prefer that anyways ;-)). I'll need both your screennames first though, since my AIM is on private. Also I'm on Eastern time (1:23am), but for various reasons I'm nocturnal these days - so effectively I'm closer to like, Hawaii time.  Tongue

Anyways yeah about my involvement, I've just been interested in this particular project for a while (Daniel told me about it a few months ago). I understand Greg's position though, and would actually prefer to work collaboratively with him just to have a chance to teach him some of the stuff I had to learn the hard way. That and time seems to be a big factor here, so having two heads is certainly better than one - especially when both of us have previously-composed "backup" tracks we can throw in wherever Greg feels is appropriate.

And about the main theme thing, it's really just my suggestion more than anything. I don't so much have a musical/genre forte as a dramatic one for main themes. But of course, it all just depends on the film itself - when will we get to see it? Or are you not finished editing yet? We should probably wait until we see the film and have some important discussions about style and mood before picking out pieces to put into it.

Can we schedule a meeting? The best way to reach me outside of AIM is through email, I'm wilbert@rogetmusic.com
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2006, 10:49:06 PM »

Glad to see this is working out.

Have fun, guys Smiley

...and good luck!
Blank avatar

Miszou

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2006, 01:10:20 PM »

E-mail: g_michalec@yahoo.com
AIM: mchawk19

Man, I didn't realize how long of a film this was...I'm really starting to appreciate the help, Will. Haha even though if we go by experience YOU should be doing it all yourself. I'll try to keep up.  Smiley

Now we're just waiting for the film...
Blank avatar

bustatunez

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2006, 02:08:06 PM »

Cool, what's a good meeting time for you guys?

(And MrDodobird do you have AIM/MSN/etc.?)
Blank avatar

Mrdodobird

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2006, 02:27:26 PM »

I do! It's Mrdodoguy Smiley

Hmm...  a good time... I may be busy today with stuff, but let's see if we can figure out a time... Would 8 (central) be good, for you guys, in general? What types of schedules do you have? For the most part I have negotiable evenings, if I know about it a bit beforehand.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 02:30:49 PM by Mrdodobird » Logged
Blank avatar

bustatunez

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2006, 07:07:49 PM »

Evenings are best for me too. How about we try 11pm Friday, EST? (10pm central)

In the meantime, you could use yousendit.com to send both of us the film itself beforehand - my address again is wilbert@rogetmusic.com. It'd be more productive a meeting if we've had a chance to see the whole film beforehand, we'd get to see the madness behind the method  :cool:

Basically we'll discuss your overall mood and style, the film's world, and special ideas you have for the role of music. From there, Greg and I can dismiss for about an hour or so to collect our previously-written tracks, and then we'd reconvene to "spot" the film. If you're unfamiliar with this process, it's basically where we go through the film scene by scene and decide what should have music and what shouldn't, what kind of music should be in there, etc. Since we'd be in an AIM chat, we could all watch at the same time and pause/chat as the film goes along, so that you get realtime opinions and feedback.

From there, Miszou and I will go into production mode. If everything goes really well in preproduction, there shouldn't be too much new music that needs to be written - we'll withhold giving a timing estimate until after our meeting, but it should be considerably faster than most film scores are done b/c of our preproduction and simply having two people instead of just one.
Blank avatar

Miszou

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2006, 10:18:41 AM »

Check your e-mail, Ian. The video won't play for me, though the audio is fine. Quicktime claims that it can't find the right compressor. I tried Quicktime, Windows Media, and the Divx player. I also tried converting it to .avi. No go.  
Blank avatar

Mrdodobird

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2006, 10:54:21 AM »

WEIRD!

Have you already tried downloading quicktime 7?

Click here!

I would just recompress it for you, but I think QT7 is something you'll probably need sooner or later anyway.

If you do that, I'm PRETTY sure it'll work.  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: