theBRB Banner

Forum      Theater      Contests      Stockpile

Welcome Guest.

Login | Register

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Ideality Music  (Read 11841 times)
Blank avatar

Mrdodobird

« on: March 27, 2006, 04:45:15 PM »

As I've said, Ideality is finished, all but the music.

I've just talked to Jeremy. After having the movie for a month, he hadn't yet had time to touch it, due to his new awesome editing jobs.

We decided that my having someone else do it was probably for the best, as he probably wouldn't be able to meet the dealine while maintaining the level of quality he would prefer.

That's what this thread is about.

If you have any music you would like to have used for Ideality, please, let us know! Or if you know any composers who may want to write stuff for it, please! Let us know! Or sites that have music I could use!

I'm pretty low key. It can work however you want. You could just give me a song already written, or I could send you over a scene fitting of your area of expertise and you could compose stuff for it.

In all honesty, I'm really not that picky. I thought my part in this movie was done a few months ago, so I'm kinda at the, "Whatever. Let's get this done" point.

Please recognize this:

Ideality will be released for free over the internet. I will not make money off of your score.

I will have the right to use the music in the movie. You can't suddenly say, "HEY! You  can't release Ideality cause I suddenly changed my mind!"

You will be credited in the credits. Which are awesome. With clouds and perspective and stuff.

OH! And I wont pay you. I mean, I'm sorry! I really am! But at this point, I just don't want to dedicate any more money into this movie (especially when there's so much awesome free music in the world)!!!!! I hope you understand.  
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 05:35:06 PM by Mrdodobird » Logged
Blank avatar

Miszou

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 05:31:46 PM »

Checked out your trailer. Definitely interested.
Are you preferring visually cued score or just basic background stuff? For example, you tell me you want a triumphant orchestral theme and I write it without necessarily even seeing the corresponding scene?

I can pretty much write anything to fit any kind of mood.

Here's a few examples of some of my stuff...

"Silver Blade" -- orchestral rock-ish film score

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=3633448&q=hi

"Raze" -- Ambient intro becomes big beat/bass/electronica

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=3553954&q=hi

"Electronica Demo" -- Could fit a cool battle theme...this one still needs some work.

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=3706048&q=hi

"Guitar/Violin Demo" -- Just listen to it. Put this demo together in about 20 minutes.

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=3706103&q=hi

I won't be able to devote all my time entirely to this, as the University studies are rather demanding. I should have some free time this upcoming weekend. You can reply here or e-mail me at g_michalec@yahoo.com

Thanks!

Blank avatar

Mrdodobird

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 05:38:53 PM »

HOLY CRAP! I've only listened to Silver Blade so far, but this is amazing!

Now, did you catch that I couldn't pay you? I really really hope so. I just don't have the money to. If not, please don't read the rest of this post as "assuming".

I've always loved visually cued stuff, but I understand that can be more difficult. It's up to you, really. I can most certainly send you scenes (in your prefered genre) and have you score them, or you could write to fit a mood. Or, if you don't have time, I would love to just be able to use the stuff you've already written.

I mean, you have no idea how honored I would be to have "Silver Blade" in Ideality.

Speaking of which, I have to listen to the next song Cheesy
Blank avatar

Miszou

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 05:55:30 PM »

Thanks for the...err...excited reply. =) Actually, the one stipulation I forgot to mention was that I reserve the right to use my music in any other projects that I want. (games, films, whatever)

In other words, whatever music you use of mine in "Idealty" may show up in other places as well. (At least until someone pays me for them)
Blank avatar

Mrdodobird

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 06:55:33 PM »

Not a problem at all (regarding reserving the rights). This is some awesome stuff. How would you like being credited? I can put a URL in there too, if you want.

One question: How would you suggest downloading them?

Heh. Sorry about the "overexcited Reply" Cheesy.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 06:58:52 PM by Mrdodobird » Logged
Blank avatar

ssjaaron

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 12:31:53 PM »

wow! Ian I would use this guys music! its awsome! and he sounds alot more commited!  Cheesy
ask him how long it would take and all that stuff and then send it to him!
-Aaron
Blank avatar

Magus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 01:12:21 PM »

Mmm! Use it! It's hawt<3

And I saw a mountain, and I saw a city;
Steadily sinking but suspiciously calm
Blank avatar

Miszou

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 01:20:33 PM »

Not a problem at all (regarding reserving the rights). This is some awesome stuff. How would you like being credited? I can put a URL in there too, if you want.

One question: How would you suggest downloading them?

Heh. Sorry about the "overexcited Reply" Cheesy.
Well, I suppose I could send you the files over e-mail, because I don't have my webpage up yet. That is, unless you don't mind 128 kbps quality mp3 files downloaded from Soundclick (I could enable downloads if I have to.) What songs did you want to use of the four that I posted?

I'll try to find some time to put some new stuff together for you, but if you give me a list of scenes (fighting, sad, triumphant...whatever), I can look through some of my older stuff to find something that fits. Not having seen the film myself, I could still imagine that there would be some parts where visually cued a slow buildup exploding into Matrix fight music would be pretty sweet.

What kind of time schedule are you looking at? I'm hoping to have my webpage up soon, so I can have that link put in the credits. (next couple weeks or so) Though I imagine you guys are itching to get your film out there. Smiley
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 01:21:48 PM by Miszou » Logged
Blank avatar

M Joel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 03:06:55 PM »

Oh wow, this music is amazing. "Silver Blade" would make a great theme or something.  Cheesy  I am really excited about the film now. Having music by this guy in "Ideality" will really supercharge the film.  

If you are reading this, then you are wasting precious seconds of your life that you could be doing something usefull with.
Blank avatar

Mrdodobird

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 10:19:18 PM »

You know, there really isn't anything there that I wouldn't mind using, though "Raze" may be the least fitting.

Would you LIKE to see the film? WOuld that help? I could compress it down for you (like, say, 70-80 mb? Or way smaller? What filesize would work?) Or do you care? I could just describe the scene. Depends on if you want to do cues or not.

I'm just happy that you're willing to write oroginal stuff for this Smiley Though if it turns out you're too busy, say so. The last thing I'd want is for you to feel stuck in an obligation (that's no fun for either of us). Email would be a cool way to get the files.

Although I gotta say, I have very little reference. Is 123 kbps mp3 files poor quality?

And yeah, it'll probably be at least a couple weeks till I'm ready to render out the final credits, so as long as you have some sort of URL to give me, I can put that in there. Smiley No rush, really.  
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2006, 12:12:35 AM »

Did Jeremy at least complete some of it? Might help. Then again, might want it to match.

Gonna send an email out to some contacts.
Blank avatar

bustatunez

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2006, 01:37:29 AM »

Hope I'm not too late - I sent you an email to introduce myself, but I thought I'd reiterate on the forums just in case.

I'm a pro composer who's been interested in Ideality for a while. I'm a friend of djr33, having scored his BRB award-winner "Hit Me" and Star Wars special fx compilation. I invite you to visit my website at www.rogetmusic.com to view my bio/credits and hear some samples, but for a quick overview here's my 3 minute montage:

http://www.rogetmusic.com/demo.mp3

I emailed you with my contact info. Hope we can work together! Take care,

- Will
Blank avatar

jedimastermonkey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2006, 03:12:30 AM »

"Silver Blade" is awesome, this guys music makes me want to see " Ideality" even more than I did before.  Cheesy  

http://myspace-806.vo.llnwd.net/00115/60/88/115188806_l.gif' border='0' alt='user posted image' />
Fall away, spiral out...
http://thebrbforums.com/html/emoticons/monkeytfn.gif' border='0' alt='user posted image' />
Blank avatar

Miszou

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2006, 09:37:59 AM »

You know, there really isn't anything there that I wouldn't mind using, though "Raze" may be the least fitting.

Would you LIKE to see the film? WOuld that help? I could compress it down for you (like, say, 70-80 mb? Or way smaller? What filesize would work?) Or do you care? I could just describe the scene. Depends on if you want to do cues or not.

I'm just happy that you're willing to write oroginal stuff for this Smiley Though if it turns out you're too busy, say so. The last thing I'd want is for you to feel stuck in an obligation (that's no fun for either of us). Email would be a cool way to get the files.

Although I gotta say, I have very little reference. Is 123 kbps mp3 files poor quality?

And yeah, it'll probably be at least a couple weeks till I'm ready to render out the final credits, so as long as you have some sort of URL to give me, I can put that in there. Smiley No rush, really.
Bustatunez, I would step aside and allow you the honors, but frankly I would really like to do this project. Can we have some sort of arrangement where if I feel I won't be able to finish scoring for all the scenes, you could pick up the slack? I really have no idea how long this film is anyway. No hard feelings, right? Thanks for the EWQL silver suggestion, by the way.  Smiley

Actually, this is the sort of thing I need to make myself do. When I put up my website I want to have a set of demo film pieces that people can check out. This project will force me to sit down and write some quality stuff, so in a way I'll be killing two birds with one stone.

If you could describe for me a list of scenes that you feel don't really need visual cues, I can start working on those pieces. A 60-70 mb file size would be fine for me to score off of for the other parts.

I would have to say that my specialty is rock/orchestral/electronica smash-ups, so this project is right up my alley.

Looking forward to it.

BTW over the past two days "Silver Blade" went from around 330th to 20th in the "Film Music" category on Soundclick.  Smiley
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 09:39:11 AM by Miszou » Logged
Blank avatar

Mrdodobird

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2006, 06:23:43 PM »

Haha.

Yeah, I never really thought this problem would come up. Not that it's really a problem.

The movie is about 40 minutes from start to finish, but not all of it requires scoring.

So... Miszou. You want to write more stuff to add to film piece repetoire, and your specialty is rock/orchestral/electronica smash-ups. Which is awesome.

Bustatunez! I've heard great things about you. I listened to your reel, and your stuff sounded great! Smiley You've got a huge collection of styles (genres?) under your belt.

So now comes the question. Do either of you mind working with the other? That is, could I split up the work between you based off of your preferences? I don't see it being a problem, but then again, I'm no composer Wink It would just be helpful over on my end to have two people working on it, just for time purposes.

Speaking of which, how long is typical for scoring a movie of this length?

And if so, bustatunez, what's your prefered "style" of music to write? You can obvious play a huge range, but which one do you think you can do the best/enjoy the most?

Talk to you guys soon!

EDIT: Ahh! There's also another option, this one directed slightly more specifically at Miszou, as it's in his preferred genre...

I'm currently working on a new project (which I personally like MUCH more than Ideality. I started Ideality when I was 16, and I'm not 18.5. Which is a long time in which to learn stuff), and one of the major directiosn we wanted to go with this new piece was rock/orchestral/electronica, actually. We have 3-4 local bands already signed up to write music, but we want a mix. It's a fairly rich set of movies (it's a series), and so we want the music to be varied.

This piece, perhaps even more than Ideality, may be worthy of your skills. I can send you more info if you're interested. But here's the catch. We're hoping to sell this one. That is, we're leaving the POSSIBILITY of selling it open. Now, in a perfect world, this could be mutually beneficial, in which you get to practice your skills and get material for your demo, along with getting good publicity, and we get songs for a score. But this is not that world, this is a world where you may see us getting a score for free, which we use for a movie we're making for profit.

I'm just puttin' this out there as a possibility, as we would LOVE to have you, but just don't really have the financial means... you know how it goes... we're already overbudget... and as much as we love you.... there are other people offering stuff for free... I mean... yeah...

Oh! And Bustatunez, I'd love to hear longer samples of your work, just to get a bigger feel of the rhytm. Rythm? Rhythym? Rythim? Rhythim? I liked what you did for "Hit Me" Smiley Worked very well.  
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 06:35:19 PM by Mrdodobird » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: