theBRB Banner

Forum      Theater      Contests      Stockpile

Welcome Guest.

Login | Register

Poll
Question:
None.... just watching films, making films, and maybe some research... - 11 (42.3%)
None+ (summer camps, jobs/volunteer positions/interships/etc) - 6 (23.1%)
A class or two at school NOT as a main focus (not a major, etc.) - 0 (0%)
College with a focus on film, not quite film school - 4 (15.4%)
Film school - 3 (11.5%)
Job in the field - 2 (7.7%)
Job in the field and some classes - 0 (0%)
Job in the field and film school - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 0

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: What is your film education level RIGHT NOW?  (Read 15477 times)

Katanna

View Profile WWW
« on: March 11, 2006, 11:17:32 PM »

Hey guys...

I don't know many of you, and I don't know what your background is, so I figured I would ask:

What is your film education level?

How many classes have you taken on this subject?  High school, college, beyond? or only personal practice?

Matthew
« Last Edit: March 11, 2006, 11:24:04 PM by Katanna » Logged

2 But as for me, my feet had almost slipped;  I had nearly lost my foothold.
3 For I envied the arrogant when I saw the prosperity of the wicked....
17 till I entered the sanctuary of God;  then I understood their final destiny....
25 Whom have I in heaven but you?  And earth has nothing I desire besides you.
~Psalm 73

"If Shakespeare wrote 'your' when he should have written 'you're' you'd look for a deeper meaning, irony perhaps. When I write 'your' when I should write 'you're' I just look like a retard." ~Hurleyman

"Jesus kicks my face."
kicks my face, verb: anything that rocks, inspires, and sustains all that you are

Katanna

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 11:19:28 PM »

(and yes, I meant to add this in another reply)

In high school, I took "Media Tech" which was a mixture of on site video and studio work.

I am now a Jr. in College (UNT) and have taken various RTVF courses... right now, I am taking Film Styles (on site) and Film Production (studio).

Matthew

17 till I entered the sanctuary of God;  then I understood their final destiny....
~Psalm 73

"If Shakespeare wrote 'your' when he should have written 'you're' you'd look for a deeper meaning, irony perhaps. When I write 'your' when I should write 'you're' I just look like a retard." ~Hurleyman

"Jesus kicks my face."
kicks my face, verb: anything that rocks, inspires, and sustains all that you are
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 11:22:08 PM »

Adding a poll.

I've had a bit of experience at a volunteer job and then another job, but mostly it was just what I knew and doing it there, not much learning (except the same stuff I learn every time I edit/etc.)
Nothing much at school. A summer camp or two.
Yep.
Blank avatar

ObiJuan2080

Administrator and Contest Supervisor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 12:09:01 AM »

Job in the Field
Blank avatar

Funk, E

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006, 08:13:00 AM »

It's not FILM education per se, but involves a lot of the same stuff technically.  I went to school for television production.  News, generally.
Blank avatar

Fig

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006, 08:57:56 AM »

I make movies. That option isn't on the poll.

http://www.myspace.com/figchrystie' target='_blank'>MySpace.

http://www.jonvandergriff.com/fig/demo-reel-wmv.wmv' target='_blank'>Demo Reel

http://youtube.com/profile?user=TeagueChrystie' target='_blank'>My movies on YouTube.

http://www.jonvandergriff.com/fig' target='_blank'>The rest of my Movies/Effects/Stuff.
Blank avatar

Magus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2006, 08:58:01 AM »

Wow! I was just about to make a new thread about something HUGE that just happened to me, but I'll put it all here instead, this is pretty fitting.

I put None+ (summer camps, jobs/volunteer positions/interships/etc)

Next summer I was offered an internship at Chiat Day, a huge commercial editting company out in California, They do Visa, Nessan, SONY(!!!), and Apple...

So every Playstation commercial you see on TV is editted by them... Every iPod dancing around in front of a blue screen thing is them, etc etc...

The guy I personally know out there has done all the PSP (It's like portable carpet, man) commercials, all the Rachet and Clank (Where the robots blow up stuff) commercials, and ALOT more stuff that I don't have time to type ;P

I went out this December and LOVE IT!!

Blog-age 1

Blog-age 2

^ Blogs written while in California about 3 months back.

So I got a call from Rick (the dude who I mentioned earlier) a few days ago saying if I intern for them they'll pay for the majority of my college and either send me to The North Carolina School of the Arts, or some LA film school thing. And I'll be guaranteed a full time job there once I'm outta college.

I. Am. Psyched.

I'm totally thanking God for all this, it's completly amazing... This is all I've ever wanted to do with my life!

Only thing I'd wanna do more is

1) Be Sucked into a Fantasy World to fight Dragons and become a Paladin and protect the lands, or

2) Be a professional actor... Mmm....

So this is totally awesome for me... I'm so physched that I want to spam these boards with glee...

But I shall refrain from that...

So yeah, that's my film level =X

And I saw a mountain, and I saw a city;
Steadily sinking but suspiciously calm
Blank avatar

TechKrill

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2006, 11:17:27 AM »

I'm minoring in film at PBAU, so I guess "Not really film school" is the best option, though they are film classes. Taking general overviews now, more focused classes next year. should be fun Smiley

Katanna

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2006, 12:05:56 PM »

Congrats, Magus!!!  I wish you the best of luck!

Matthew

~Psalm 73

"Jesus kicks my face."
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2006, 02:23:50 PM »

Fig, then put none. This is film education... experience making movies is under none.... kinda. I'll revise the phrasing.
Blank avatar

Rico

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2006, 02:26:07 PM »

I work Grip and Elecric professionally, as well as DP.  Whatever time isn't spent doing that, is spent directing my own projects.

- Rico

PS - I think the opposite, Dan.  Experience making movies trumps any degree a college can give you.

We're doing fine on the One and Nine line.
-- The Beastie Boys; "An Open Letter to NYC"

Blah, blah, blah... Yorksnob.
-- Zep
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2006, 02:27:45 PM »

I'm judging experience, but the question was education.... and doing isn't technically considered education. Plus, we can assume everyone on the site has made movies, so that's not gonna be too much help in finding out stuff.
The question was more about who's done college classes or film school, who's had jobs in the field, etc etc.
Blank avatar

Rico

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2006, 02:31:42 PM »

Fair enough, but without taking any classes, Fig is one of the better filmmakers to freqent this section of the intarweb.  S'all I'm sayin'.

- Rico

We're doing fine on the One and Nine line.
-- The Beastie Boys; "An Open Letter to NYC"

Blah, blah, blah... Yorksnob.
-- Zep
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2006, 02:33:29 PM »

Sure... not arguing that, and I agree.... practical application is needed for anything else to be worth anything.

You can mentally add 'making movies...' to all of the answers above, as, as I've said,  we've all had experience there.
There's actually another thread somewhere quite a few pages back that had a poll about how many films we've completed. Maybe we should dig that up. Though its outdated for many of us now.

Katanna

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2006, 03:15:33 PM »

One of my profs said this:

"The difference between an amateur and a professional is that an amateur does something because it looks right, a professional does something because he knows it is right."

Film is one of the few areas that you don't HAVE to have an education in to be good at it, but you will always be an amateur (which isn't a bad thing).  I can sit here and rattle off things like the 180 degree rule, the 30 degree rule, how to do "correct" 3 point lighting, when to and when not to zoom as compared to dollying...  These are things that won't necessarily be done "right" by an amateur, and it does show.

I don't mean to sound condescending (and I know it does)... that is just why I am glad that I am getting an education.

Matthew

~Psalm 73

"Jesus kicks my face."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: