theBRB Banner

Forum      Theater      Contests      Stockpile

Welcome Guest.

Login | Register

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ...to the top...  (Read 4184 times)

Katanna

View Profile WWW
« on: February 25, 2006, 12:04:56 AM »

Introducing "...to the top...", a student film by MeMedia.

To download the movie, please go to www.MeMediaWeb.com and click on "...to the top..." (I could post the files here, but this way I can count how many people go there).

Please post ALL comments and thoughts here!  As long as it has good intentions, I am very good about taking the worst of criticisms... so lay it on me!

Matthew
« Last Edit: February 25, 2006, 01:17:36 AM by Katanna » Logged

2 But as for me, my feet had almost slipped;  I had nearly lost my foothold.
3 For I envied the arrogant when I saw the prosperity of the wicked....
17 till I entered the sanctuary of God;  then I understood their final destiny....
25 Whom have I in heaven but you?  And earth has nothing I desire besides you.
~Psalm 73

"If Shakespeare wrote 'your' when he should have written 'you're' you'd look for a deeper meaning, irony perhaps. When I write 'your' when I should write 'you're' I just look like a retard." ~Hurleyman

"Jesus kicks my face."
kicks my face, verb: anything that rocks, inspires, and sustains all that you are
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 12:52:38 AM »

That was fun. cool idea.

My two critisisms are:
1. I hate (in pro stuff too... very common there as well) when there is a cut, but the angle doesn't change. You can't just have a jump and no angle change, or its just confusing. Maybe its just me, though.
2. It was, honestly, kinda boring at times. (The actual action he was doing). You should have some quicker cuts and more interesting stuff going on aside from the (lack of) action.

Overall, not bad. Cool angles. Good job not just shooting from the bottom*.

*/SPOILERS/*
Was he actually not attached to the rope? He was, right? He was just practicing with the little loops?
*/SPOILERS/*

Katanna

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2006, 01:14:20 AM »

He was lead climbing.
There are two main types of climbing, top-rope climbing, and lead climbing.
In top-rope climbing (entry level, what most people do on "rock walls" like this one), the rope is attached to you, then it travels to the top of the wall, over a pipe, and back down to a belayer.  As you climb up, the belayer pulls down the excess rope that you create while climbing.
In lead climbing (advanced level, more common when you are climbing on real rocks), the rope is attached to you, then it goes directly to the belayer.  As you climb, you "clip in" to the clips (on natural rocks, you have to "create" these clip-ins as you climb).  That way, if you fall, you only fall from the height that you are already at.  As you climb, the belayer lets out rope to give you slack to climb.

So, to answer your question (I think), he was attached to the rope the entire time.  As he went up, he clipped in so that when he fell, he only fell from that height.

See also these wikipedia links:
Top-rope
Lead Climbing (what they call "traditional climbing")

And if you can't tell, I have been climbing for well over a year now... this isn't new to me, and if you don't climb, I wouldn't advise getting up 45 feet with a camera in your hands!

Matthew

17 till I entered the sanctuary of God;  then I understood their final destiny....
~Psalm 73

"If Shakespeare wrote 'your' when he should have written 'you're' you'd look for a deeper meaning, irony perhaps. When I write 'your' when I should write 'you're' I just look like a retard." ~Hurleyman

"Jesus kicks my face."
kicks my face, verb: anything that rocks, inspires, and sustains all that you are
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2006, 01:19:07 AM »

I did some rock climbing when I was younger...
Yeah, I get it now. I didn't connect the balayer to the clip he was connecting to. I thought there might have been two ropes... like he was practicing for the real thing while having a safety net.
So... basicaly... if he'd slipped while moving his rope, he would've fallen?
Anyway, cool.
Rock climbing is fun.
Blank avatar

hurleyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2006, 06:22:14 PM »

Awesome, Kat!! I thought it was great. I thought that the music did a good job of building energy as he got higher. I really liked how it ended. Nice place to fade out. My critiques are of that first shot that went from the bottom of the wall to the top. It should have been more smooth. You could've used a tripod for that one. Also, it seemed like there should be some reaction to his fall, dramatic music or something. Even that might not have made it any better, though. Overall, it was your best yet! Well, except for LightClaw. I still think that one was really well shot and edited for what you had to work with.

Keep 'em coming!

Hurleyman <><
« Last Edit: February 25, 2006, 06:22:44 PM by hurleyman » Logged

"Merely having an open mind is nothing; the object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." -G.K. Chesterton

"Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies [simply] because they become fashions." -G.K. Chesterton

"It is a great fortune that Archimedes never got his lever and fulcrum; he might have succeeded." -- Me

"The war stories that a nation tells with pride, are the nightmares that its heroes relive every night." -- Me
Blank avatar

TechKrill

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2006, 10:08:24 PM »

Really not bad...technically simplistic, but it was engaging and enjoyable. I really liked your music and the way you timed your shots around it (or seemed to...you may be faking it well Tongue). My only real qualm was your opening fade in/out shot showing the grandeur of the rockwall.

If I'm not mistaken, at least at the end (maybe to make it longer?) you were cutting the shot completely during the black and starting it again at the next fadein. Like, using hypathetical numbers, at Time Index 3 you fade to black, you would cut the establishing shot, bump it over to Time Index 5, and start it again with a fade.

It made for a disjunct effect that looked clunky...you should let the establishing play in the background and just have it fade in and out without cutting it. Perhaps it was lack of a tripod, and it wasn't cutting, it was just your camera jumping back a few degrees of rotation during the black, who knows. Either way, it was slightly disjuct.

Other than that, not much to complain about...nice little short Smiley
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2006, 11:38:26 PM »

that's a good point. maybe he just didn't have a long enough clip for it to work without doing that. not a huge deal, but, yeah, good point.

Katanna

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2006, 01:20:47 PM »

yup, my clip wasn't long enough, so instead of cutting holes in a clip, I cut a clip and spread it out... I guess another way to do it would be to slow the motion to lengthen the clip...
Thanks for the review!

Matthew
« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 01:21:09 PM by Katanna » Logged

~Psalm 73

"Jesus kicks my face."
Blank avatar

TechKrill

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2006, 07:45:57 PM »

See? I'm observant Smiley
Blank avatar

Mrdodobird

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2006, 08:53:05 PM »

Hehe. I like it!

Especially the way the credits faded in with the music at the end.

Man. That's amazing. Cause, like, you filmed while rockclimbing.

To me, that's hardcore. I mean, I couldn't. (I've never liked heights. Uggh!)

But I liked the concept. Smiley

I REALLY would have liked to have seen the view from the top. Maybe that was a directoral choice. It worked Smiley

You happen to have any extra footage with that in it? With looking down?

Katanna

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2006, 11:13:11 PM »

Thanks for the reply.

I don't have much footage looking down... while I was up there, I mostly concentrated on filming him... though there are a few shots looking directly down...

However... I edited that footage on a different computer, and I am too busy right now to look for it... remind me in a week, and I might have time...  might...

Matthew

~Psalm 73

"Jesus kicks my face."
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: