theBRB Banner

Forum      Theater      Contests      Stockpile

Welcome Guest.

Login | Register

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ...to the top...  (Read 2029 times)

Katanna

View Profile WWW
« on: February 23, 2006, 10:03:13 PM »

In leu of actually showing you the video, I am going to go ahead and type out a censored production log.  I don't want to type out everything, because I want to get your first reactions when you see it.

I am currently in 3230, Film Styles Production.  This is an intro course to basic camera movement.  Our first (out of three) assignment was to create a 3-4 minute documentary with no dialogue.  The "documentary" requirement was pretty loose... he just didn't want fiction, he wanted something in real life (several people did making a PB&J sandwich, someone did changing a tire on a car).  The day we were talking about it in class, I had a neat idea.  As I thought about it, I figured that it would work, so I gave it a try.

Later that day, I stopped by and asked if I could use the facilities.  The manager said that I could.  His biggest concern was people in the background; they are very protective of their students here.  He didn't want me to get lots of people milling around in the background, but if I didn't get them, then I could do the shoot.

The day of the shoot, we were scheduled to meet at 10:30.  I drove up to school early, checked out the camera, and while doing that, I talked to the RTVF equipment room guy about what new cameras to buy.  I was running good on time, and was just about to thank him for his help, when I realized that I forgot to bring a mini-DV tape with me.  I asked him if they carried them.  He said that they didn't, but I could get them from the bookstore.  No biggie, the bookstore was on the way across campus, but now I had to make a stop on the 10 minute journey across campus, and I only had 10 minutes left.

So off I went.  At the bookstore, I had to wait a few minutes because both reps were on the phone.  When I finally got one, they handed me the mini-DV tape... guess how much they were... $15!!!  Yup, the same one that you can get in a 2-pack at Wally World for the same price.  Sadly, I had to pay it because I was already late to the shoot.

Once I got there (only two minutes late), everything went smoothly.  The shots were great, the actor was having a blast, doing what he did best (and I'm not talking about acting), and I got the shots I wanted.  We were there just over 2 hours.

After that, I had to edit the video.  I decided to use the editing lab on campus, because I figured I could use one of the Macs that they have.  When I went it, they wouldn't let me have a Mac.  No idea why, there are still 4 of them in a room, sitting there doing nothing, but they wouldn't let me have one, so I got a Premiere Pro 1.5 machine... no biggie, I have used Premiere Pro before, and I figured it wouldn't hurt to learn that program as well.

Editing went mostly smoothly.  Of course, I kept wanting shots I didn't have, but you learn to live with that.  The most notable thing that happened was that the prof changed his mind on us... he decided to require that we use ambient sound...  he didn't say that before I edited it, and because I had already taken out the sound with the editing, I would have to edit it all over again... PLUS I had little usable ambient sound, because I didn't think I would need it...  so I left it like it was (no ambient sound, just music beds).

Any who, today (Thursday) I put the finishing touches on it and presented it to the class (along with everyone else's projects).  It had the second biggest reaction (the other was a humorous PB&J one).  I think it went pretty well.  It is now up to the prof to decide what grade to give me... he could give me a great grade, or take away a LOT of points for not putting in ambient sound.  We will see.

Matthew

2 But as for me, my feet had almost slipped;  I had nearly lost my foothold.
3 For I envied the arrogant when I saw the prosperity of the wicked....
17 till I entered the sanctuary of God;  then I understood their final destiny....
25 Whom have I in heaven but you?  And earth has nothing I desire besides you.
~Psalm 73

"If Shakespeare wrote 'your' when he should have written 'you're' you'd look for a deeper meaning, irony perhaps. When I write 'your' when I should write 'you're' I just look like a retard." ~Hurleyman

"Jesus kicks my face."
kicks my face, verb: anything that rocks, inspires, and sustains all that you are
Blank avatar

hurleyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 12:59:09 PM »

Sounds awesome! I'd love to see it when you get the chance to upload it.

Hurleyman <><

"Merely having an open mind is nothing; the object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." -G.K. Chesterton

"Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies [simply] because they become fashions." -G.K. Chesterton

"It is a great fortune that Archimedes never got his lever and fulcrum; he might have succeeded." -- Me

"The war stories that a nation tells with pride, are the nightmares that its heroes relive every night." -- Me
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: