theBRB Banner

Forum      Theater      Contests      Stockpile

Welcome Guest.

Login | Register

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Filmmakers What are you looking for in a Composer?  (Read 7728 times)
Blank avatar

Tyler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2006, 06:30:52 PM »

^What a coincidence!  Ron Owen came to my university and gave a lecture about his work on End of the Spear.  It was interesting; we watched a rough cut of a scene and followed along with copies of the score he passed out.

It was cool to read the different cues and hear/see them on the screen.  For instance, he wrote flute/piccolo rapidly descending scales to go along with someone falling down a hill.  I like stuff like that.

http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/3534/fakecello4qp.gif' border='0' alt='user posted image' />
An IMDb user praising this "diverse" and "complex" music:
"Look at the incredible variety of themes he does - from Gladiator, a masterpiece, to Matchstick Men, a fun, jazzy style, then Pirates - a theme that moviegoers (however musically inclined they may be) will never forget. These scores are not only more diverse, but more complex as well."    :-\
Blank avatar

Mrdodobird

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2006, 02:34:45 PM »

Actually, now that I think about it, I care very little about the actual quality of the music. Probably 75% of my opinion is based on how much I like the person.

I mean, really. I make movies for fun, so I want a fun composer.

Call me crazy. Tongue
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2006, 09:19:45 PM »

that's very true.

I'd say:

1/3 the person, 1/3 the quality of the music, and don't forget 1/3 how well it fits the video both timing wise and mood.
Actually, that might even be up to like 1/4, 1/4, 1/2.
Probably 1/3 all though. All are very important.
Blank avatar

rogue_09

Administrator?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2006, 09:39:02 PM »

I would venture to place "quality of music" and "fitting with the video" in the same category.
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2006, 09:40:32 PM »

It's not the same to me at all.

Many people love great music with lyrics. To me, for most of the films that I have made, it would be a terrible soundtrack.
Likewise, I have a track or two with subpar music that is timed perfectly to the movie, so it still works, on some level.

but... yeah:
1/3 how it is working with the composer, 2/3 the music
« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 09:40:55 PM by djr33 » Logged
Blank avatar

rogue_09

Administrator?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2006, 10:49:56 PM »

Well, yeah, I guess I wouldn't completely lump them together, but they're very closely related, since music will sound different in the context of different films.  What doesn't sound as nice in one film might blow you away if used in another.
Blank avatar

JohnMoore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2006, 11:01:09 PM »

James Horner's music is almost always dull listening by itself, but when put to film, it's phenominal.

Quality of listening?  Poor.

Quality of writing? Fair.

Quality of music good.

Quality of mood/timing fitting with film?  High.

Quality of Score?  Fantastic.

While I'm not religious myself, I don't mind the fact that people who are religious think it means they should behave like they have brains. - Daniel Ross [DJR33].

ìI love everyone!î Chase screamed at the top of his lungs. It may not have been profound, but at least it was positive!" -  An excerpt from 'The Story' by Ian Hubert. [MrDodoBird]

"Obviously though, the prerequisite to losing one's social life is actually having one in the first place." - Nick. [Rogue09]
Blank avatar

Tyler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2006, 12:03:32 PM »

Yes, there's a slight difference between "music" and "score".  In many cases, score doesn't stand alone very well, and merely supports what is on screen.  I know John Williams has made some concert arrangements of his movie cues, and they sound fantastic on screen and on stage!

http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/3534/fakecello4qp.gif' border='0' alt='user posted image' />
An IMDb user praising this "diverse" and "complex" music:
"Look at the incredible variety of themes he does - from Gladiator, a masterpiece, to Matchstick Men, a fun, jazzy style, then Pirates - a theme that moviegoers (however musically inclined they may be) will never forget. These scores are not only more diverse, but more complex as well."    :-\
Blank avatar

TechKrill

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2006, 02:50:04 PM »

And knowing is 1/2 the battle!

*theme music*

Smiley
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: