theBRB Banner

Forum      Theater      Contests      Stockpile

Welcome Guest.

Login | Register

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Trailer Entries  (Read 13667 times)
Blank avatar

ObiJuan2080

Administrator and Contest Supervisor

View Profile WWW
« on: December 18, 2005, 10:08:55 PM »

In the order recieved, here are the entires:

Rogue09 -- Double Nine
http://thebrb.com/contests/contests/trailer05/rogue_9x2.mov (6.3mb)

R2D2Rules -- S.W.A.T.ed
http://thebrb.com/contests/contests/traile...ules_swated.mov (27.9mb)

mrdodobird -- Spacemen Belong in the Future... Probably
http://thebrb.com/contests/contests/traile...dobird_sbfp.mov (17mb)

TechKrill -- Angel
http://thebrb.com/contests/contests/traile...krill_angel.mov (18.1mb)

djr33 -- Anything
http://thebrb.com/contests/contests/traile...33_anything.mov (16.8mb)

Voting details will be up shortly.[/b]

Good luck to those who entered and enjoy!

Discuss and critique!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 08:07:32 AM by ObiJuan2080 » Logged
Blank avatar

Mrdodobird

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 09:59:24 AM »

Double Nine

Awesome. I love that genre. VERY classy, and it actually had a fairly understandable plot behind it! Great job with the black and white, and I don't think I ever saw anything that ruined the "suspension of disbelief" thingy. The dialogue fit really well- OH! But the little title things... betrayal and such.... Oh man. That's what blew my mind. The dominos falling in the background, with the LIGHT MOVING!!!! The moving light was what really got me. It just made it perfect. I didnt' even notice till my third watching.

Great job, dude.

SWATed

Hehe. Michael, you guys rule. I'm jealous I couldn't have been there to film with you guys, cause every time you make something, it's obvious on camera just how much fun you were having (perhaps a wee bit too obvious Wink )

I love the guy with the knives!!!!

With any luck, you'll make the rest of the movie as well.

Spacemen Belong in the Future.... Probably

I like it. I made it, but I like it. Tons of different locations and shot variety and characters, looked like it had an intricate plot behind it, and conveyed the mood of the movie really well. And the music was AWESOME.

Angel

Beautiful. The music, fades, dissolves, slow pans, use of DOF.... it all worked to create a really good cohesive trailer. I have no idea how you were able to get those guys to put your friend on a stretcher, or was that clever editing? But props to you for that. In all honesty, I don't know what the movie's about. Like, a guy and his friend drive into a lake, I got that, and after..... the one guy is sad? The other guy comes back as an Angel? I'm sure that it's there, and I'm just not seeing it. I may have to watch it a few more times to try to memorize people's faces.

Good job, dude. Smiley

Anything

Haha! Classic hardcore Daniel. It starts and it doesn't really stop till the end. Some great fighting. You've got some really talented friends, man! Holy Crap! Especially when he kicks that guy into the containiner thing. Oh man. Hardcore stuff.

I didn't entirely understand this one either. They tell him to deliever a box.... they they try to take it from him? And he fights them to get it back? But it looked like it definitely had something behind it. Great job, dude. It's some awesome stuff Smiley
« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 11:48:35 AM by Mrdodobird » Logged
Blank avatar

R2D2Rules

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 10:13:33 AM »

My critiques or whatever you want to call them are pretty short so... beware?

Double Nine

well, i thought that was pretty sweet. i liked the whole old timey thing.

Altogether Amazing Cheesy

Spacemen Belong in the Future ...Probably

I liked the ship, the effects, the music, and the scenery. It was also pretty funny.

Awesome Cheesy

SWATed

Failure. JK, it was actually better then i accpected. Cheesy

Angel

I think it was pretty sweet, depressing (in a good way). I liked the places you shot, the poeple you got, and the music.

Rad Cheesy

Anything

I didnt quite understand what was going on, but the fight scenes were cool (one thing though, you should probably get some punching or kicking sound effects. it really effects the fighting and makes it sound "real" or hurt "real" bad.)

Loved it Cheesy

--------------------
--------------------
seven-fourty-seven
seven-four-seven
7-4-7
7.4.7. (my most recent project in script stage)
~see through his eyes~

http://www.knoxskorner.com/' target='_blank'>This isnt my webpage but its awesome anyway
Blank avatar

Magus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 11:41:34 AM »

Wow! Great job guys, pretty awesome...

I've gotta go here soon, so I'll only say a little.

Double Nine

Pretty hot... Classic-ish-ness... Loved it, great job

SWATed

Wow!  :blink:  I must say I did laugh alot liked alot of the angles. Also how it takes forever for the guy to fall down the stairs but he never gets shot. rofl..

I hate you. You are FREAKISHLY amazing. I wish I were nearly as good with After Effects, the spin arounds is what really got me... I really wanna be able to do that... =P  Anyway, had some good laughs, and some eye openers... Pretty incredible.

Angel

Much like a teaser. Slow paced, depressing (sort of).. I'll give it to ya, It very much made me want to see the film, which was the whole goal of the contest... Pretty good

Anything

My favorite contest entry of yours, yet. The fighting was really convencing, the jump over the wall was reallllly hot! Didn't like the audio on the guys voice... seemed... Hmm.. compressed? I don't know what I'm saying... But that was by far your best contest entry in my opinion, keep it up... Nice car exploding btw ;]

And I saw a mountain, and I saw a city;
Steadily sinking but suspiciously calm
Blank avatar

TechKrill

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005, 01:42:00 PM »

Spacemen Belong in the Future...Probably

Ian, I have to give you props...that ship, being a very kewl cross between 'Serenity' and the dropships from Halo...is teh shiznit. That one shot of it parked on the ground is perhaps the best special effect I've ever seen in an amateure film. Most impressive. Overall the trailer was a lot of fun, looked like something you'd make (heh). The special effects, as usual, blew my mind. Overall, really nice job. The trailer was a little long in places, sort of drawn out. You included more than you had to, so to speak. But not bad at all, very enjoyable. I wanna see it Tongue

Anything

Dan, I'm impressed. To be honest, I've never been a huge fan of your cinematography...it's always been your weakest point. But you've really come a long ways. Your content was really good as well, the story was intriguing. The car blowing up was cool...him jumping that WALL was VERY cool. I had to watch it twice, lol, just him jumping that wall. Give him a "Well done" from me Tongue The fights were a little underrehersed-feeling. And some of your editing was odd in the fights...like for a split second they're standing there, like you had just said "Action"...it didn't look like they were in the middle of a fight. It looked like "Okay, we're starting scene 4! Fight!" Other than that, really impressive. Just imagining what the poor people on the highway were thinking as you were beating each other up on the overpass Tongue And sound effects on the hits would've been nice too...but other than that, not much to complain about.

Double Nine

Film Noir...too much fun Smiley The black and white was pulled off very well, as well as your locations. That all looked really good. The effects on the guns were quite nice, very well done. The part of your female's voice acting is that she garbled her lines a bit. They ran together slightly. Not even a really big problem, but I comment on what sticks out to me in the film, that stuck out. The dominos were FANTASTIC, the moving light source with the shadows tilting. WELL well done, good thinking on that one. Very artistic Smiley

S.W.A.T.ed

Interesting...the muzzle flashes and sound effects were good Smiley And it made me laugh a bit. If nothing else, it looks like you had way too much fun on set, which can definately be a good thing Smiley
« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 01:42:55 PM by TechKrill » Logged
Blank avatar

Yodaman

Mystic Muppet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2005, 02:32:09 PM »

Wow- these were all great. I expected at least one piece of crap, but no- they were all great pieces of work. These would all make great full-length films if you guys wanted to make them. Congrats to all the players.

DOUBLE NINE

Wow. This one was amazing. You nailed everything, and you nailed it with style. This one's a winner  Cheesy

ANGEL

Slow, sad, sweet- a touching little piece of work. Can't really tell what the film's about but overall it's a very nice showcase of your work. The camera work was awsome.

SPACEMEN BELONG IN THE FUTURE... PROBABLY

MUUUUUUUUUUUAHAHAHAHA! This one rocked my socks. This would be a really really great film if you decided to make it. If Ideality is anything at all like this, then it's going to rule the world.

S.W.A.T ed

This was was cute and amuzing. Sure, it's kids acting stupid, but you managed to make it funny. Kudos to you.

ANYTHING

I saw the progression in this one and I have to say nice job. The only gripe I have is that the fighting was kind of fake (like when they punched each other you could tell they were acting), but the athleticism was awsome. If you could teach those guys how to pretend to punch one another then they have the potential to being great stuntmen. Everything else was great on this film. The narration by the boss dude was especially awsome.

I'm Yoda. I'm soldier. I mold ya, then fold ya, I thought I told ya. Don't be unwise, judge me not by my size. You won't believe your eyes. Watch the X-Wing rise.

http://www.swtales.tk' target='_blank'>Pain is temporary- Tales are Forever.
Blank avatar

ObiJuan2080

Administrator and Contest Supervisor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2005, 05:03:07 PM »

As you all know, votes do not count unless you review the Entries as well.

Mrdodobird, R2-D2 Rules, Magus, Techkrill and Yodaman can vote because they have written reviews. The rest of you will have to review then vote.

RULES[/i][/u]

You must vote for all 5 entries. You will rank each from 1-10, where, generally, 5 will be for how much you want to see the "film", and 5 on how well the trailer was put together.

All votes are to be sent to me via PM of course.

Good Luck to all the Entrants.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 05:04:03 PM by ObiJuan2080 » Logged
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2005, 05:24:14 PM »

Double Nine
This was so close to perfect, but there were a couple issues. The biggest one was that the first two lines in the trailer are darn near impossible to make out. "It's simple: the domino theory"... or at least I think it says that. And the girl... but I got what she said after a couple times.
I love the cinematography and look of everything.
I do question having like 8 deaths, though.... unless its a war movie, that's really giving away a lot of the big things that happen. Not to say its that they are main characters... but you'd expect like 16 deaths in the film... and that's quite a few.
This genre really bores me sometimes, but you made it pretty interesting.
Best acting award (of all entires) goes to the "take care of him" guy, with a close second to the guy at the table.
Nice classical settings and costumes.

S.W.A.T.ed
This was silly. Seemed like you had fun making it. Very well done muzzle flashes. Some interesting angles and such. Way too long and needed faster shots. It was pretty well made, but you really should try to keep the sillyness out of it. Then again, it was a very fun project, it seems, so you have to think about purpose... as a "real" movie, it wouldn't hold up , but for fun, seems like it did quite well.

Ian, you are fantastic with special effects, editing, organizing, cinematography, acting (IF and only if its the right role), and coming up with cool concepts for movies. I vote for not letting your near the script though Tongue You always make silly things in EVERYTHING you make. This would hands down be the best trailer... awesome music, visuals, plot, acting (mostly), etc... but its too darn silly.
I don't mean to sound mean, but its amazing to me how you have yet to create a film that was actually consistantly serious....
This isn't to say that there can't be jokes, but you MUST try a serious production sometime. You have all the elements, but.... ouch.
(Actually, I'd like to point out my favorite work of yours-- Noir and Later.... completely serious. Awesome film. Much better than this-- or anything else I've seen from you... just because you really stuck to it as a serious production.)
Overall, very cool. Intriguing.. awesome music, nice. Just... be serious! I'm begging you Cheesy

Angel
This had a very interesting style.. and fit the depressing content. Amazing!-- You had police cars, ambulences, and the like. Nice cinematography. Nice editing. A bit over overexposed and a bit over ghosty at times... but col all the same.
The title was never hinted at and I really don't want to see the film because of it. It might make a gerat film, but I didn't see anything that made me think so, really. You should have had more lines in it... even if they weren't too related.
It seemed more like an art film than a trailer. Perhaps a public service announcement not to drive or some such.
It was well made... but didn't seem to have a plot.

Anything
Thanks for watching and reviewing. I'll address each critique in a bit... heading out the door right now. It was fun to make!
Blank avatar

Mrdodobird

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2005, 06:21:28 PM »

Be serious? THAT'S no fun!!! Come on, Daniel, Seriously. Cheesy
« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 06:21:48 PM by Mrdodobird » Logged
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2005, 06:56:56 PM »

Hey... I don't disagree. Just... you have so much talent... and its getting wasted. You have a real shot at making AMAZING films, but you don't quite reach for it. That's all I'm saying.
Blank avatar

Funk, E

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2005, 06:59:02 PM »

Why does something have to be serious to be amazing?
Blank avatar

Mrdodobird

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2005, 06:59:58 PM »

I want to use my powers for good. Not evil.

Actually, it's pretty much an outlet. I do so much serious stuff that you guys don't see, that I just have to make em, or else I'll stop enjoying it (IMO). Though I see what you mean.  
« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 07:03:01 PM by Mrdodobird » Logged
Blank avatar

Magus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2005, 09:05:18 PM »

What do you use for a dolly, Ian? I want to be able to spin around like you..  Shocked  

And I saw a mountain, and I saw a city;
Steadily sinking but suspiciously calm
Blank avatar

Mrdodobird

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2005, 09:09:56 PM »

Lol. I dunno. I've just gotten good at moving the camera steadily. You know, knees bent, holding camera with both arms, loosly, about 3 feet from my body. Generally I hold my breath. Never really thought about it.

Of course, Steve and Sean ran the camera for some shots too. Smiley
« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 09:15:07 PM by Mrdodobird » Logged
Blank avatar

Funk, E

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2005, 09:24:17 PM »

Always use your camera with knees bent, walking heel-to-toe when walking forward, and toe-to-heel when walking backwards.  You learn to walk a little like a SWAT team member.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: