Welcome Guest.

Login | Register

Poll
Question: What do you rate it?
IT SUCKED!! - 1 (5.6%)
It really needs improvement - 2 (11.1%)
It could have been better - 0 (0%)
It was alright - 0 (0%)
There were some questionable scenes - 1 (5.6%)
It was pretty good - 4 (22.2%)
LOVED IT!! - 8 (44.4%)
Probably the best movie ever. - 2 (11.1%)
Total Voters: 0

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Harry Potter and the GoF  (Read 9221 times)
Blank avatar

lighter223

View Profile WWW
« on: November 18, 2005, 03:14:28 AM »

Wow... It seems that every time a new director comes on board, the movies get worse...

The snozberries taste like snozberries...

!
Blank avatar

Funk, E

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 09:00:26 AM »

What?  The first two Harry Potter moves blew and were OK, respectively.  The third one was very good.  I've not seen the fourth one yet, though.
Blank avatar

rogue_09

Administrator?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2005, 11:52:20 AM »

I agree.  The first two were fun, just because they matched the books so well, but were overall a little lacking.  The third was excellent.  I too have yet to see the new one, but according to almost every critic's review it's by far the best yet.
Blank avatar

Mrdodobird

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2005, 06:15:21 PM »

What?Huh?

Are you... nevermind. The first two were kinda dumb.

Third one was awesome.

This 4th one blew my mind HARDCORE!!!!!

I saw it first showing (midnight) at the Imax. We waited in line for 5-6 hours.  And again today at Imax. I haven't slept since 6 am yesterday.

I love it. That movie's freakin' awesome.

And I can't really understand you saying they're getting worse at all...

Most odd. What IS an example of an awesome movie?

I love just the energy of it all. And the emotion. And the effects. And the visual feel. ANd the music.

Oh, that music. John Williams, I still love you.

They didn't have the Harry POtter theme music a lot, though. Only once? I probably missed one. Yeah, I remember. There was once during the credits. But it was the shortest one ever. LIke, 10 seconds.

Hardcore.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2005, 06:15:48 PM by Mrdodobird » Logged
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2005, 10:43:00 PM »

I hope to see this Sunday or soon after.

I have yet to be really impressed by the films, and all I can figure out at this point is that the books get longer each year, and the movies get shorter.

the first two were alright, but didn't capture the mood of the books... just a summary, kinda.
the third was awful. It was a joke as the interpretation of the plot and laughable from a filmmaking standpoint. The FX were even cheap in some scenes.

It's hard to judge, though, as the books are just so darn good that i don't know if anything could match up to them.
Blank avatar

Funk, E

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2005, 10:46:26 PM »

It was a joke as the interpretation of the plot and laughable from a filmmaking standpoint. The FX were even cheap in some scenes.

Explain further, please?  I and the majority of other moviewatchers have the exact opposite opinion.
Blank avatar

rogue_09

Administrator?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2005, 10:50:10 PM »

I'm curious to hear this as well.  Except for one minor piece, I thought it was a great adaptation.
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2005, 11:06:39 PM »

The characters were drastically wrong looking... lupin, sirius... peter, maybe (I don't recall).

The feel was off.

The sequence with the hyppogryphs (aside from their horrible design, especially colors) was a great example of cheap FX. Not once did Harry walk behind him... it was so clearly composited on him.

The flying sequences were totally out of place and just an FX showcase.

Just didn't have the right feel.... its more commercial than the books for one thing.

Mainly, as the plots get more complex, the movies have to show more, and they are actually getting shorter. This creates lots of problems.
Blank avatar

rogue_09

Administrator?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2005, 11:27:08 PM »

The characters were drastically wrong looking... lupin, sirius... peter, maybe (I don't recall).
I disagree, I think casting has been spot on from day one.  I never had a very clear mental picture of Lupin, but once I saw Thewlis, I knew that's exactly how he should look.  Oldman as Sirius is almost exactly how I pictured.  The same somewhat goes for Pettigrew as Lupin.  Spall really cemented the look of the character in my mind.

The feel was off.
You're going to have to elaborate on that.

It was more to have Quiddich appear, albeit briefly.

Just didn't have the right feel.... its more commercial than the books for one thing.
Commercial how?

My one story gripe was Mooney, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs are never specifically identified.  I know from the books who they are, so I don't know how well someone might be able to figure that out having seen just the movie.

On a side note, I was initially skeptical about Gambon's Dumbledore, but after seeing PoA again, he's growing on me more and more.  I'm interested to see him in GoF.  My gripe about him is how drastically they changed the look from what they had for Harris.  I mean, actors die and characters must still be played, and yes, a new actor will play the same character differently, but that doesn't mean you need to change his look so much.  He doesn't match Rowling's description as well.  And what's with that beard tie?
Blank avatar

FCRabbath

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2005, 06:50:11 AM »

I saw it yesterday. I am very impressed. I give it a 9.5/10, and i don't even like Harry Potter. Very cool movie. You should go see it.
Blank avatar

Mrdodobird

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2005, 08:34:31 AM »

The sequence with the hyppogryphs (aside from their horrible design, especially colors) was a great example of cheap FX. Not once did Harry walk behind him... it was so clearly composited on him.

Odd that they'd showcase horrid cheap effects.

I thought they were awesome.

And apparently the academy awards agreed with me.

Not once did Harry walk behind him...

Do you mean in front?

Sorry. I get defensive of good effects when people say they're bad Cheesy

Well, allright, to each his own. I guess.

Still, odd.

However, let's not argue this. There's no conceivable way anyone can "win", and it'll just piss people off at how dumb other people are.  
« Last Edit: November 19, 2005, 08:39:04 AM by Mrdodobird » Logged
Blank avatar

ObiJuan2080

Administrator and Contest Supervisor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2005, 09:51:57 AM »

I loved the movie period. Only thing I didn't like was [SPOILER WARNING]:

How Harry didn't tell Dumbledore that Lucias (sp?) Malfroy was partly responsible for the ressurection of the Dark Lord Voldemort. His resurrection

...makes me anxious to see the next installment. Should be awesome.

I too went to the midnight showing. I saw folks in costumes, it was awesome. I got me a pair of Harry Potter glasses, funny but cool. The crowd went nuts when the Superman Teaser was played. Heck, I went nuts. Overall the night was excellent, cold but excellent.

Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2005, 10:52:31 AM »

Yeah, Ian. I meant in front. Smiley

To each his own.

I just like the books so much I doubt that it would be possible to adapt them well enough.

The movies aren't awful though... I still enjoy them, but they are just fun, not great like the books are.
Blank avatar

ObiJuan2080

Administrator and Contest Supervisor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2005, 11:17:27 AM »

<_<

Geek

Tongue  
Blank avatar

FCRabbath

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2005, 01:37:19 PM »

i can't wait for the DVD.