theBRB Banner

Forum      Theater      Contests      Stockpile

Welcome Guest.

Login | Register

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Horror Film Contest Submissions  (Read 10589 times)
Blank avatar

ObiJuan2080

Administrator and Contest Supervisor

View Profile WWW
« on: October 30, 2005, 08:09:29 PM »

The submissions for thebrb.com Horror Film Contest will be on this thread. Also the reviews of all the entries should be posted here.
Blank avatar

FCRabbath

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2005, 08:17:06 PM »

yay!
Blank avatar

ssjaaron

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005, 08:27:01 PM »

YAY! I just gave mine to the dr.  :woot:
Oh just FYI about my movie, we did it REALLY fast, I was so so busy. but I made sure that no matter what, I would at least make a do it. I have been working my gloot off.  :blink:
i bet that fc or CX3 will win. but oh well it was fun to try.  :peace:
-Aaron  B)  
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 01:43:39 AM »

In the order recieved....

CX3 - Obsession (10mb)
http://thebrb.com/contests/contests/horror...session-cx3.mov

FCRabbath - ONE WAY (50mb)
http://thebrb.com/contests/contests/horror...y-fcrabbath.mov

ssjaaron - Solitiare (50mb)
http://thebrb.com/contests/contests/horror...re-ssjaaron.mov

djr33 - Proximity (40mb)
http://thebrb.com/contests/contests/horror...imity-djr33.mov

All files are quicktime format.

VOTES ARE TO BE PMd TO JUAN (see top post for link.) AND WILL BE A 1-10 VOTE PER ENTRY.
( 5- djr33, 7- fcrabbath, etc....)
Each entry gets its own rating. This will make it fair.

Also, for your entry to count, you MUST review each entry with some insight.... no "good"s or "I liked it"s.

Good luck to all who entered!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2005, 02:29:23 AM by djr33 » Logged
Blank avatar

FCRabbath

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 05:37:54 AM »

i will watch them all tonight.
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2005, 10:55:01 AM »

WARNING: This is a horror contest. Entries are, as such, scary and possibly violent.

I haven't watched all of the entires yet, but just keep that in mind.
Blank avatar

Magus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2005, 11:04:20 AM »

Ok, I suck at reviewing but here I go:

I'll reveiw in the order they were received...

Obiously spoilers... Because.. well... there reveiws XD

CX3 - Obsession:

Alright, not very 'horrory', still good. good acting, good editing; just not the horror feel, esspecially considering in the end it was all just a high.

FCRabbath - ONE WAY:

Great, the suspence and thrill of a horror was there, nice effects, loved the 'personal demon' thing, best acting, great angles/camera work. The Scariest in my opinion.

ssjaaron - Solitiare:

Sort of the same thing as ONE WAY with the personal ghost thing, great. Less scary, didn't like the camera work quiet as much as ONE WAY, but still enjoyed it. Nice effect of the black eye, good acting. Had a real good laugh when right after he stabbed his friend and the camera panned up to show his shirt saying "Give blood, its a scream!". Hope that was suppost to be there. XD

djr33 - Proximity:

Definantly the longest; didn't like the main girls acting, liked the moms, and djr33 makes too small of an apperance to judge... Enjoyed it, the dog was really well done. I think it was a bit under done on the acting when there was a loose cerial killer in her neighbor hood and she was just "a little worried", still nice. Some parts were hard to hear because of the music out weighing the audio as well.

And I saw a mountain, and I saw a city;
Steadily sinking but suspiciously calm
Blank avatar

FCRabbath

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2005, 12:52:27 PM »

Here we go!

Spoilers

CX3 - Obsession:

Good stuff man, but i feel like i have seen this one somewhere before? I duno, tho. I like it, not very horror like but still good, funny twist. Good acting too.

FCRabbath - ONE WAY:

Hmm, not much to say but the director is HOTT. the end.

ssjaaron - Solitiare:

Wow. Dude, you did a great job. You have gotten a lot better. I liked some of the acting, some seemed little weak, but other than that good. Your editing is cool too.

djr33 - Proximity:

Yup, much improvements man. Cool you got a mom in that too. Good acting from her. I didn't like the fake dog. Kinda took away from the movie. But, story wise, it was enjoyable. Keep it up!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2005, 12:54:36 PM by FCRabbath » Logged
Blank avatar

ObiJuan2080

Administrator and Contest Supervisor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2005, 01:21:47 PM »

Voting will last through this coming Friday
Blank avatar

JustinZ

Forum Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2005, 03:45:23 PM »

Here are my reviews.  Warning: SPOILERS below!

Obsession - CX3

Nice music, opening credits.  Perhaps the title could be in a larger font or start at it's regular size and grow.  Good use of sound to create a mood.  Shot selection was pretty good.  I liked the POV shots, but they were used a bit randomly, often switching from POV to 3rd person and back again for no obvious reason.  I think the POV shots would be more effective if they were used more to consciously create a specific mood.  They storyline is the weakest part of this entry; it's not clear why he's searching the house, etc.  Although the ending explains what's going on, it felt unsatisfying, and a little heavy-handed.  I would have liked it better if you made your point without breaking the mood, perhaps by following him around and coming across the drug paraphenalia and panning and holding on it, with audio to indicate that he's having scary hallucinations, etc. 8/10

One Way - FCRabbath

Hey, it's Nezsis playing the lead!  Interesting visual effects.  Good sound.  I don't care for the makeup on the tempter, though.  I'm not sure what the scene at 2:54 is about.  Is it supposed to indicate time passing or is it some supernatural power?  It's also not clear what makes the guy change his mind at the end.  To me, this seems more like a "psychological thriller" than what I usually think of as horror (I don't watch enough horror movies to know how well this fits into the horror genre), but maybe that's a subgenre of horror. 7/10

Proximity - djr33

This entry is based on an urban legend (or those who care, you can read more about it at http://www.snopes.com/horrors/madmen/lighton.asp).  Audio levels for the dialogue were a little low.  The dialogue tended to get overshadowed by the music and was hard to understand at times.  (I knew it! Daniel is a serial killer; it all makes sense now!) The framing at 5:05 is too low.  Good use of POV shot at 6:21 (but why didn't she see him when she looked under the bed?).  Overall, this is solid, although I wonder whether it might work a little better if it were a little shorter.  I don't think the cuts need to be faster, so much as the story needs to be told more effciently.  It's 3:00 before we get a sense of what the main conflict is.  I also wonder whether we really need the "second day" at all; perhaps some of the events could be moved to the first day to make the story more streamlined. 7/10

Solitaire - ssjaaron

The dialogue was hard to understand at times.  Nice "through the door" effect at 3:07.  The camera work was pretty good, and vually things looked fine, though the effects were a little sloppy (no doubt due to the short time in which this was made).  I like the idea of an invisible friend who is/becomes real and turns evil, but I think the story needed to be a little stronger, especially at the end.  It wasn't clear why the invisible friend could inhabit other people's bodies and how he took over his friend at the end. 6/10

They thought it was love, but it was only the caffeine.
Blank avatar

M Joel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2005, 05:29:31 PM »

K, My turn:

SPOILERS!

CX3 - Obsession:

LMAO, I loved the ending of this! Definately the most enjoyable one!!! I felt that the ending was the right touch, actually. Since it had humor, I wasn't expecting it, very well done!

FCRabbath - One Way:

All I can say is....WOW! You blew me away again, man. I am not quite sure if this is about a dual personality, or simply symbolic of a person's dark side using two different characters. Either way, I like how you told the truth in the shadows at the end, very deep. The acting is supurb, too. You need to use those guys more often. My favorite of them all.

ssjaaron - Solitiare:

Neat! I wasnt expecting this. Some of the effects were choppy, but I understand what you were saying, and I liked the concept. Definately a great one!

djr33 - Proximity:

I found the girl in this to be very attractive, so I was never bored looking at the screen. Wink As for the film itself: The puppet threw me off on what type of film this was supposed to be. The acting was VERY good, however, I am sure that I would have loved the girl's acting alot more if I could hear her half the time. She mumbled too much, and the music was too "big" for this type of film. The story was a little hard to believe in areas, though. Well, this is my least favorite of them all, but props to you for trying out something different. It was still enjoyable to watch.

EDIT: Reviews only...thanks
« Last Edit: October 31, 2005, 09:07:59 PM by ObiJuan2080 » Logged

If you are reading this, then you are wasting precious seconds of your life that you could be doing something usefull with.
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2005, 11:50:15 PM »

I'm sure I'll say more later... but for some quick reviews, generally:

*SPOILERS*

I'd like to point something out... the only films that fit the horror genre are mine and solitare. Nothing against FCRabbath's or CX3's, but they really aren't horror. CX3's is, arguably, but the ending turned it away. Specifics...

CX3 - OBSESSION
The water and tv were WAY, WAY too much like the Ring. Then again, horror films generally don't differ too much, so that may be excusable. The best thing about the film was how the viewer kept being thrown off until the ending.... but the ending itself was kinda weird. I mean... funny, but so out of place. As a film, it wasn't too bad, but as a "Horror Entry" I didn't much like that. The style was fun and felt cool. I was getting into it... then the end. But, hey, nice stuff. It was made quickly, and pretty well, at that. (As I'll mention about FCR's, the digital FX weren't really the point, but it was just one shot... so no big deal).

FCRabbath - ONE WAY
Nice little film. It had the big film feel, yet was short. The twist was very obvious to me from the moment I got comfortable with the situation and who was who.... or at least metaphorically. You took a non-plot (nothing happened) and made it seem like something was going on. I mean, that's a good thing, for the most part. However, I think some more context might have been nice.... yet, maybe not. Anyway, I have a big issue with the film-- the idea was to make a horror film with no big focus on FX. While there was no CG, no rotoscoping or even masking, you did an insane amount of overlay stuff. It was stylistic, but different than the idea for it. Still, good film. The ending for this was quite amazing. I saw it coming from the beginning and knew right when it would, but the shots were beautiful. Nice work on that. Good acting, too. Note: had this been more about FX... you might have wanted to try the clone angle... but that would also give away the ending. Maybe a hat could hide it enough or something. Very nice characters as well. Good work on the visuals with the plot... the makeup and such.
Most intense award.

ssjaaron - SOLITARE
Cool! I don't recall this plot before... nice idea. The whole thing was quite well done. Nice simple tricks to get it seeming like there was someone else. The FX at the end (another use of them kinda against the ideas of the contest, but they did fit well) were neat too... thought not too polished. Was that a mix of PS and AE?
I thought that the sequence as a kid accomplished very little for how long it was. I got it from like the second shot of that... he was a kid and he made up a friend. You didn't need to have such slow pacing on all of it, but nice backstory. (Plus, the kid (main character) didn't act too well.... shorter would have meant less of that, but whatever.) Nice anyway.
I liked the ending. It felt like the classic horror film... Something is the problem, it does this, this this, so and so dies, then TWIST!, right at the end. The very end was a second twist.. I like that. Acting was pretty cool.
As for the math opening, that  was really weird. I'm not sure whether you were trying to make it sound like you were just doing math and talking about random numbers, dumb it down for all audiences or talking about real problems, but I couldn't follow it. There was too much totally irrelevant dialogue about "199 is 25 plus.... no its 119... squareroot of 2". For one, numbers like 3,4,5 and 5, 12, 13 should be used... but i'm getting off topic. One solution would have been to have it have been english tutoring. Find a shakepearean play or something that relates to the topic... that would have been neat and relevant. Anyway, too much about something so small.... but it should have been shorter if not better.
I really liked this film, but it was kinda unpolished. The editing had some jumps..... cuts from where the main guy is in one position to where he was in another....
Coolest concept, I think.

Mine - PROXIMITY
I loved making this... the dog was fun to do. Yeah, he was cheesy, but looked totally real for the last shot. I mean... in person, you couldn't tell he was fake. Used about $8 of fake blood on that, too Smiley I'm glad  that everyone is at least enjoying it. I love the input, so keep throwing it at me.
--Magus, on the subject of acting... well... she isn't an actor, just a very helpful girlfriend. If you were guessing that my acting would be bad if it were longer... then you're right... why I try to stay mostly behind the camera now Wink I'm glad you liked the dog. I couldn't get a real one, so that was a nice alternative. The sound mix has problems. I added the music in in about 10 minutes.... I really should have turned it down, but I was so short on time.
--FCR, Glad you liked it. The fake dog was my only option, as I don't have a dog and couldn't get another one to use in time. It isn't perfect, but doesn't feel like it totally kills it to me.
--Justin, Yeah. The plot is from an urban legend... a cool one, too Wink Thanks for the link. There are lots of versions, so I kinda took the one that fit best as a movie... mixed and matched and revised quite a bit. The news shot at 5:05 seemed ok to me, but wasn't the best angle. Yeah. the POV shot was an improv "what if" kinda shot. I didn't plan to use it and just edited it to see what it would look like... then I liked it. Glad you did as well. As for seeing him under the bed... he's under the sheet... look closely, then pops his head out as she leaves. Also, she just looked at the edge of the bed... not under. And... why not? It's horror. The characters can't be too smart or they wouldn't turn out the lights or close the door Wink The film could have been shorter, and was originally longer, but I had to cut it for the 8min rule. I think the slow pacing works well. Sure, its not as flashy as the other entries, but it also has more buildup than they do. I COMPLETELY disagree about the 2nd day. I originally wrote it with four days. The creepy thing about the story isn't just that there is a dead dog, but that the killer was under her bed, licking her hand for night after night. there MUST be at least two nights for that to really have the same impact. If it were just one night... then its just kinda weird. As is, it creates the conflict of losing the dog and getting her worried.
(About "just a little worried" being too little --this was said a couple posts before -- she doesn't expect that it will really matter. So what if there is a prisoner... not llke she'll be the victim, right? Wink )
--M Joel, I'm glad you enjoyed it.
To everyone, sorry about the music being too loud... it should have been turned down. I didn't feel that it was too "big" but just too loud. The ending needed it as is and the other scenes would have worked well with less of the same...

Overall, some pretty cool entries Smiley
Blank avatar

FCRabbath

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2005, 05:53:30 AM »

SPOILERS*

I'd like to point something out... the only films that fit the horror genre are mine and solitare. Nothing against FCRabbath's or CX3's, but they really aren't horror. CX3's is, arguably, but the ending turned it away. Specifics...

I think they are. Unless you all want to cast a vote on whats what.
Blank avatar

FCRabbath

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2005, 12:55:11 PM »

soooo any more reviewers?
Blank avatar

M Joel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2005, 02:07:31 PM »

SPOILERS*

I think they are. Unless you all want to cast a vote on whats what.
I seem to recall suspense thrillers being allowed, so I think FC is right in this. Both films weren't "horror" in terms of it made you scream, but I actually liked these films the best.

Just my two cents....

If you are reading this, then you are wasting precious seconds of your life that you could be doing something usefull with.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: