theBRB Banner

Forum      Theater      Contests      Stockpile

Welcome Guest.

Login | Register

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Serenity  (Read 2703 times)
Blank avatar

ObiJuan2080

Administrator and Contest Supervisor

View Profile WWW
« on: October 04, 2005, 10:41:01 AM »

I saw it premiere night and I have to say I really liked it. CG/FXs are good and it has a nice story behind it as well. Definately worth $10.75. Yes folks, tickets here cost that much....but it was so worth it  Cheesy  
Blank avatar

Mrdodobird

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 09:03:03 PM »

Saw this.

Oh man. Awesome movie.

Been too long since I saw a good old fashioned, "WE"RE IN A SPACESHIP AND IT'S EXPLODING AND WE'RE NOT JEDI" movie. Smiley
Blank avatar

Sage

Administratah

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 10:24:33 PM »

Blasphemy.

Tongue

So yeah, I'll probably see this tomorrow.  Looks good.

EDIT:  10.75?  Mike got jacked.  Hehehe...

Sage H.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2005, 10:26:12 PM by Sage » Logged

Don't make me destroy you.  And stuff.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/rogue_09/mWo.gif' border='0' alt='user posted image' />
Blank avatar

JBK

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 10:32:27 PM »

You also need to watch "Firefly", Sage.

And any of you that haven't seen it.
Blank avatar

TechKrill

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2005, 10:41:59 PM »

If you read my review of the preshowings of Serenity over the summer, toss it out the window. The finished film trumps anything I could've written about it.

To sum it all up: this movie rocks.

The effects, the story, the characters, the sets, the dialogue, it's all top-notch for a moderate-budget movie. Joss Wheadon and Universal Pictures have totally outdone themselves.

One thing that gripped me was the musical score...during the preshowings there was placeholder music put together while the score was finished. But let me put it this way, sign me up for the CD. Amazing soundtrack to go with an amazing movie.

I cannot say enough about how big a fan I am of this, and I've never even seen the original Firefly episodes save a few scenes here or there.

GO SEE IT! It's well-spent money...
Blank avatar

JBK

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 05:57:34 PM »

Well I finally saw it. Big Firefly fan, although I wouldn't call myself a Browncoat. Kinda like back when George hadn't messed up yet and I still enjoyed Star Wars - I still did not dress up and speak Huttese at geek conventions.

That being said... huge fan of the show. And with that in mind, I was disappointed in the choice of story. But I have a theory (which I'd like to see confirmed if anyone has a link ?) - Whedon chose to tell (highlight) the origins of the Reavers because of the relatively small budget he had. I would have liked to see... well, for fellow fans : "two by two, hands of blue".

That was the real interesting plot in the show. But I'm fairly sure if a sequel is greenlit, it will get more money, and if that's the case, we'll get to see what I'm talking about.

So anyway. Disappointed with the choice of story, but once I'm past that, I thoroughly enjoyed what we had. The film looks really good for 40 millions. I have only a couple nitpicks :

- Music should have featured a lot more guitar. And where was the show's main theme, other than at the very end of the credits ? I was waiting for it to pop up during a bar scene, or even better, when Jayne is playing a few notes at the Haven. That would have been perfect.

- Jayne's humor : not enough of it.

- Characters deaths. Too bad Book and Wash were flushed. I'm gonna mourn Wash a lot more than Book, but I would have loved to learn all the backstory around Book. Intriguing stuff in the series that never had the chance to be develloped.

So yeah. I liked it, but I was expecting to be blown away, when I just had a good time. I'll still do my part and see it at least one more time, to tell the studios to keep it alive. I'm sure with more money, we'll finally get to the juicy stuff.

Although my favored medium for that story would still be TV. I wouldn't mind a Star Trek type of franchise, with the series, and movies every once in a while to punctuate the story with touches of epic.
Blank avatar

Sage

Administratah

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 09:35:55 PM »

I just saw it too.  I'd give it an 8.1/10.

Smiley

I'd have enjoyed it more if not for the guy snoring beside me...

Tongue

Sage H.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/rogue_09/mWo.gif' border='0' alt='user posted image' />
Blank avatar

JBK

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2005, 09:38:38 PM »

You're so brainwashed you can't even think for yourself anymore.

You're off my AIM list.
Blank avatar

Sage

Administratah

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2005, 09:45:45 PM »

Cheesy

That's ok.  I gave you my little brother's screenname.  You've been talking to him this whole time.

In fact...  Who are you again?

Sage H.

Blank avatar

JBK

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2005, 09:49:58 PM »

Miranda.

Just trying to get this back on topic, I'm not saying you should call me Miranda.  Tongue  
Blank avatar

ObiJuan2080

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2005, 09:59:45 PM »

I wouldn't think of it Miranda, but thanks for bringing this topic back on track  Cheesy  
« Last Edit: October 06, 2005, 10:00:14 PM by ObiJuan2080 » Logged
Blank avatar

rogue_09

Administrator?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2005, 10:18:25 PM »

Shut up, Fred.

Wink  
« Last Edit: October 06, 2005, 10:19:15 PM by rogue_09 » Logged
Blank avatar

ObiJuan2080

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2005, 10:21:25 PM »

Crap....
*waves white flag*
Blank avatar

Sage

Administratah

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2005, 10:22:50 PM »

Thank you, Rogue.  Mike will turn on you REAL QUICK.

Tongue

Sage H.

Blank avatar

rogue_09

Administrator?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2005, 11:50:11 PM »

Not once he sees my sexy sig he won't!

Back on topic, I'm thinking I'll have to hit this tomorrow night.  I've seen far too many glowing reviews for me not to.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: