theBRB Banner

Forum      Theater      Contests      Stockpile

Welcome Guest.

Login | Register

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Sentence Formation  (Read 17243 times)
Blank avatar

djr33

« on: September 13, 2005, 09:53:07 PM »

This may seem a bit odd at first, but it'll be easy enough. This is just like the "one word at a time" games, but a bit more orderly.

We will have to rework these rules a bit, but for now, go with them.

First, we need to explain exactly what the whole "sentence structure" thing means.
SUBJECT, VERB, ADDITIONS, and CONJUNCTIONS (combiners) are the sentence parts.

You POST ONLY ONE!

--SUBJECT: This is a noun-- person, place, thing, idea, etc.-- that the sentense is about. "I, it, water, freedom and pizza" all work fine. This may also be more complex, for example "The delicious pizza", but may not contain the other sentence parts.

--VERB: This is what the subject DOES. It is an action word. "Does, is, will be doing, hasn't done, wants, belittles, eats, exists and explodes" all are ok. They may also be verb phrases. (for those grammatical types, think predicate.) For example "ran quickly, really tried".

--CONJUNCTIONS: This is a big fancy word for those things that combine sentences. There are three types that I can think of: Coordinating conjunctions, subordinating conjunctions and semi-colons. IGNORE THE NAMES, as that won't matter. This means... if you want to have more added to a sentence, then it is your job to add a combiner. "and, but, yet, nor, for, so, or" are the coordinating conjuctions. ";" is a semicolon. "although, however, indeed, that, which, etc." are subordinating conjunctions.

--ADDITIONS: These are the details that don't actually affect structure. They can be "infinitives", "appositives", descriptions, "objects", "prepositional phrases", but basically... they are the extra stuff that make sentences.
Examples: "it is sunny outside" or "Daniel, djr33, is a filmmaker" or "I want to be the best"

There is lots of room for creativity. Basically, try your best to stick to the above.

ONLY USE ONE PART PER POST!

EXAMPLE:
1. The tree
2. The tree wasn't very
3. The tree wasn't very short
4. The tree wasn't very short because
5. The tree wasn't very short because it
6. The tree wasn't very short because it had been growing
7. The tree wasn't very short because it had been growing for a long time.

As a last note, please punctuate correctly. If you're not sure, just make a note in your post and someone can help.

Have fun!
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 09:53:18 PM »

One day
Blank avatar

wproductions

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 10:26:50 PM »

One day
One day, after the
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 08:57:34 AM »

(sorry that I didn't make it more clear, but you don't need to post the last one again, just make it one sentence. Also, I should not that this is going to be a long story type thing.)

One day, after the earthquake,
Blank avatar

wproductions

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2005, 03:55:54 PM »

One day, after the earthquake, Mount Vesuvius
Blank avatar

Yodaman

Mystic Muppet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2005, 04:58:55 PM »

One day, after the earthquake, Mount Vesuvius erupted

I'm Yoda. I'm soldier. I mold ya, then fold ya, I thought I told ya. Don't be unwise, judge me not by my size. You won't believe your eyes. Watch the X-Wing rise.

http://www.swtales.tk' target='_blank'>Pain is temporary- Tales are Forever.
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 06:09:20 PM »

One day, after the earthquake, Mount Vesuvius erupted, and
Blank avatar

Alex_C

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2005, 09:02:13 PM »

One day, after the earthquake, Mount Vesuvius erupted, and we ran
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2005, 09:04:10 PM »

One day, after the earthquake, Mount Vesuvius erupted, and we ran away to
Blank avatar

Yodaman

Mystic Muppet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2005, 01:05:02 PM »

One day, after the earthquake, Mount Vesuvius erupted, and we ran away to the

I'm Yoda. I'm soldier. I mold ya, then fold ya, I thought I told ya. Don't be unwise, judge me not by my size. You won't believe your eyes. Watch the X-Wing rise.

Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2005, 02:44:51 PM »

One day, after the earthquake, Mount Vesuvius erupted, and we ran away to the  nearest phone booth to
Blank avatar

wproductions

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2005, 03:48:48 PM »

One day, after the earthquake, Mount Vesuvius erupted, and we ran away to the nearest phone booth to get protection;
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2005, 04:11:50 PM »

One day, after the earthquake, Mount Vesuvius erupted, and we ran away to the nearest phone booth to get protection; indeed,
Blank avatar

wproductions

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2005, 07:23:40 PM »

One day, after the earthquake, Mount Vesuvius erupted, and we ran away to the nearest phone booth to get protection; indeed, the pyroclastic
Blank avatar

Yodaman

Mystic Muppet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2005, 04:34:58 AM »

One day, after the earthquake, Mount Vesuvius erupted, and we ran away to the nearest phone booth to get protection; indeed, the pyroclastic flows

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: