theBRB Banner

Forum      Theater      Contests      Stockpile

Welcome Guest.

Login | Register

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Thruster Glow  (Read 4451 times)
Blank avatar

Yodaman

Mystic Muppet

View Profile WWW
« on: August 26, 2005, 03:41:05 PM »

How would you do the glow of the thrusters (or engines if you don't know what I'm talking about) for Star Wars starships, specifically the blue glow of the Imperial Shuttle? This is stop-motion not CGI, so it'd have to be done frame by frame. Also as I saw in all my fx posts the only fx program I have is PSP 8 so please don't give me any hints on AE or anything else.

Here's a picture to show you what I'm talking about.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2005, 03:41:20 PM by Yodaman » Logged

I'm Yoda. I'm soldier. I mold ya, then fold ya, I thought I told ya. Don't be unwise, judge me not by my size. You won't believe your eyes. Watch the X-Wing rise.

http://www.swtales.tk' target='_blank'>Pain is temporary- Tales are Forever.
Blank avatar

Funk, E

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 04:12:10 PM »

Just build it like a lightsaber--a white core surrounded with a colored blurred glow.  I'm not sure of the mechanics of PSP, but I'm sure you can figure it out.
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 10:26:44 PM »

blue circle. blur. smaller white circle. blur.
Blank avatar

wproductions

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2005, 05:09:37 PM »

blue circle. blur. smaller white circle. blur.

Exactly.  If you can't and don't get that then I don't know.  PSP isn't that hard to handle.
Blank avatar

Yodaman

Mystic Muppet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2005, 08:41:55 AM »

This way actually works a lot better.

Open the picture/s in PSP8.. then add a new vector layer, sent blend mode to screen then click OK. Choose Paint Brush, white color, what ever thickness, size etc opacity 100 then simply paint the engine "hole" white.

then all you do is duplicate the layer 3-5 times. then apply gaussian blur to each layer start with a small number and with each new layer apply a higher amount.

for example:
Layer 1 - gaussian blur 8
Layer 2 - gaussian blur 22
Layer 3 - gaussian blur 40

now you should have the engine glow in a lot of layers. what you do next is click LAYERS - MERGE - MERGE DOWN until all the "engine glow" layers are two layers, the original engine glow layer shouldnt be touched now. Now choose the CHANGE TO TARGET brush(right next to the eraser tool) 200-300 in size, 100 hardness. Pick a color you want for your engine glow.. then feel free to use different opacity and simply paint the glow in any color.

Can also use different colors in each layer to create more "advanced" looking engine glow.

I'm Yoda. I'm soldier. I mold ya, then fold ya, I thought I told ya. Don't be unwise, judge me not by my size. You won't believe your eyes. Watch the X-Wing rise.

Blank avatar

Funk, E

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2005, 08:51:36 AM »

...Right, that's basically what we told you to do without knowing the actual mechanics of PSP.
Blank avatar

Yodaman

Mystic Muppet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2005, 10:52:34 AM »

Not really.

Blank avatar

Mrdodobird

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2005, 11:22:28 AM »

Yes Really.

B)  
Blank avatar

Yodaman

Mystic Muppet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2005, 11:40:33 AM »

Well you never said to make many layers with different levels of blurness, so not really.  B)  

Blank avatar

Mrdodobird

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2005, 11:41:56 AM »

Well you never said to make many layers with different levels of blurness,

Lol. Okay. True, they said "2" layers with different levels of blurness.

They just didn't want to confuse you.  
Blank avatar

Funk, E

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2005, 01:17:08 PM »

The 'many layers' thing just works out to a single blur with quasi-realistic glow falloff.  Just like, had you done at least some cursory looking, the lightsaber effect.  So yeah.  It's exactly what we told you to do.
Blank avatar

Yodaman

Mystic Muppet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2005, 01:51:47 PM »

Who cares.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: