theBRB Banner

Forum      Theater      Contests      Stockpile

Welcome Guest.

Login | Register

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Infra-Red or Nightvision?  (Read 14530 times)
Blank avatar

Yodaman

Mystic Muppet

View Profile WWW
« on: July 23, 2005, 12:50:52 PM »

As you can see in the Chapter 12 script, there's a part where Dengar charges as Han. That part is in his point of view, and since Dengar has this visor on that allows him to see in the dark the scene should show that. However, I don't know how I should do that. Would it look better if I do it in infra-red ala Predator or more of a green nightvision sort of thing?

I'm Yoda. I'm soldier. I mold ya, then fold ya, I thought I told ya. Don't be unwise, judge me not by my size. You won't believe your eyes. Watch the X-Wing rise.

http://www.swtales.tk' target='_blank'>Pain is temporary- Tales are Forever.
Blank avatar

JohnMoore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2005, 01:34:23 PM »

Uh, well, infra-red is what night vision uses.  That's how it works.

Green is the color they chose because it shows strongest at night, I think.  I may be wrong.

Anyway, uh, in Jedi Knight 2, the game, the nightvision was a very blue color.  Smiley

I don't know if that helps at all, or just makes your job harder, but I know that it was bluish in the game.

While I'm not religious myself, I don't mind the fact that people who are religious think it means they should behave like they have brains. - Daniel Ross [DJR33].

ìI love everyone!î Chase screamed at the top of his lungs. It may not have been profound, but at least it was positive!" -  An excerpt from 'The Story' by Ian Hubert. [MrDodoBird]

"Obviously though, the prerequisite to losing one's social life is actually having one in the first place." - Nick. [Rogue09]
Blank avatar

Funk, E

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2005, 01:53:25 PM »

h, well, infra-red is what night vision uses. That's how it works.

Not always, actually.  Infrared on cameras usually shows up as just black and white.  The green ones are ordinarily light-amplification ones.

But, yeah.  The false-color infrared thing is going to be very difficult to make look right, especially if you've only got PSP.  Either go the black-and-white route and crush your blacks and up your highlights, or figure some other way.
Blank avatar

JohnMoore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2005, 02:05:38 PM »

Not always, actually.  Infrared on cameras usually shows up as just black and white.  The green ones are ordinarily light-amplification ones.
Oh.  My bad.   :doh:

Anyway, uh, it shouldn't be that hard to do what funk-e said, and then tint the entire picture slightly bluish.   Also, make it dark around the edges.  And light the shot with a flashlight.

That should make it look good.  I might have to do a test now.

While I'm not religious myself, I don't mind the fact that people who are religious think it means they should behave like they have brains. - Daniel Ross [DJR33].

ìI love everyone!î Chase screamed at the top of his lungs. It may not have been profound, but at least it was positive!" -  An excerpt from 'The Story' by Ian Hubert. [MrDodoBird]

"Obviously though, the prerequisite to losing one's social life is actually having one in the first place." - Nick. [Rogue09]
Blank avatar

wproductions

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2005, 04:52:12 PM »

Infrared Vision is in color because the camera captures the heat waves radiating off of things.  

The green night shot is just some cheap wannabe sensor on new video cameras.  

Real Infrared sensors are harder to come across because they are more expensive.
Blank avatar

Funk, E

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2005, 06:39:23 PM »

Infrared Vision is in color because the camera captures the heat waves radiating off of things.

No, it's not in color most of the time.  When you see infrared vision in color, most of the time it's been colorized after the fact.  It's almost always black-and-white.
Blank avatar

Yodaman

Mystic Muppet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2005, 07:11:47 AM »

Just another question about this infra-red stuff should I add a Pretator-esque noise when it cuts to the infra-red to signal that it's on or should I just not have any additional noises?  

I'm Yoda. I'm soldier. I mold ya, then fold ya, I thought I told ya. Don't be unwise, judge me not by my size. You won't believe your eyes. Watch the X-Wing rise.

Blank avatar

Yodaman

Mystic Muppet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2005, 07:39:25 AM »

This look good?

« Last Edit: July 26, 2005, 07:41:24 AM by Yodaman » Logged

Blank avatar

wproductions

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2005, 07:59:26 AM »

You can't really tell what they're doing aside from the fact that they might want to kill someone...
Blank avatar

Neszis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2005, 08:00:35 AM »

No, I'd recommend changing his entire costume into bright white colours just for that shot.  Infrared cannot pick up shadows.

Aaron.

http://www.plpfilms.com' target='_blank'>http://www.plpfilms.com/images/sig.jpg' border='0' alt='user posted image' />
Blank avatar

wproductions

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2005, 08:10:23 AM »

Infrared picks up heat and only heat.
Blank avatar

Funk, E

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2005, 08:35:51 AM »

Indeed.  Something would be black only if it gave out absolutely no heat.  And infrared can't pick up color, either.
Blank avatar

JohnMoore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2005, 09:12:28 AM »

So, prolly desaturating would help it.

Uh, also, that contrast is a little heavy.  You might want to lower the contrast, but like I said, light it with a flashlight.

Blank avatar

Yodaman

Mystic Muppet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2005, 01:53:28 PM »

Better?

Blank avatar

Skyline

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2005, 03:42:15 PM »

I have to say I'm getting bored of night vision and infra-red. Especially after Pitch Black's Riddick and Bat vision. I'm not saying copy them but think of a way to make it original and yours.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: