theBRB Banner

Forum      Theater      Contests      Stockpile

Welcome Guest.

Login | Register

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: My Star Wars Film  (Read 3839 times)
Blank avatar

Tru_Slice

View Profile WWW
« on: July 22, 2005, 01:27:50 PM »

Hey, guys. I was browsing oaround on the net and I found this site through a guy's star wars page by the name of durbnpoisn.(pretty cool site, check it out) Anyways, I have started to make a fanfilm with my friends. I am fairly new at this, but I do have experience in digital editing. Any suggestions or ideas are very welcome, (cause' I don't really have much so far ). Please post anything you think that would make a great fanfilm, because that's what I want to make.

I've made this pic using Jasc Paint Shop pro 9 (tm.)
Blank avatar

jedimastermonkey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2005, 05:23:53 PM »

Story!
If any film is gonna be good, you should need a story

"A special effect without a story is a pretty boring thing."
George Lucas

Also, personally, I think it should be original,if you can help it, try to use new characters,instead of characters from the SW movies.

http://myspace-806.vo.llnwd.net/00115/60/88/115188806_l.gif' border='0' alt='user posted image' />
Fall away, spiral out...
http://thebrbforums.com/html/emoticons/monkeytfn.gif' border='0' alt='user posted image' />
Blank avatar

Mrdodobird

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2005, 10:07:06 PM »

Durbnpoisn?

Yeah. I've heard of him, I think Wink

Really, I think character would be the best thing. Like, actually spend a period of time working on them. Figure out who their mother was, who their father was, if they had either of them, where they lived, their past experiences,  and think about how that would change who they are today.

Make sure that they have a good reason for doing what they do. Instead of just wanting to "Be a Jedi who does good", give them a reason, even if it's simple and cliche, like, his family got destroyed by an imperial destruct-o-ray or something Smiley, and make sure that everything they do has a core based around that.

I dunno. Personally, I just wanna see some really cool characters. Read "The Catcher in the Rye", or don't. That's one of my favorite books, because Salinger is a freakin' psychological genius. Like, you can actually anylize the characters in his book. I love it!

I've always been of the opinion that people will love your movie, even if it totally has a sucky story, as long as it has believeable/unique/engaging characters. (Notice I don't say "likeable". Watch the movie "Buffalo 66". You don't really like the guy at first, but he still engages you.) Or have the guy go from "unlikable" to "tolerable".

I'm on the verge of being redundant, but you get the idea Smiley

Just my random thought of the day.  
Blank avatar

jedimastermonkey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2005, 03:55:46 AM »

YODA: Yes, yes. To Mrdodobird you listen.

Yea, I really wasn't thinking about that, but it would be really good to explain the character Background.

I was thinking of original characters, because I have seen a lot of SW fan films,which Darth Vader and other characters are used.

Anyway,good detailed backgrounds would be good.

http://myspace-806.vo.llnwd.net/00115/60/88/115188806_l.gif' border='0' alt='user posted image' />
Fall away, spiral out...
http://thebrbforums.com/html/emoticons/monkeytfn.gif' border='0' alt='user posted image' />
Blank avatar

Tru_Slice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2005, 11:09:29 AM »

Okay, I got characters. Cool. Like That. I'm no Lucas, so story would probably be crap; so I'll go with the characters.

Next thought: location

I was planning to do this thing outside (in the woods of course), but I have had a lot of people tell me that thta isn't a good idea. I can understand that (with return of the jedi and all, how you could barely see luke's saber against the bright sky), but i have little other choice. I basically just have the woods to film, but i wonder what other places I could put in using a bluescreen or something. Does anyone know how the bluescreen effect works? Is it better than filming Outside? Should I film Outside or inside? Am I asking too many Questions?Huh???!!!!!!!!!!

(sorry)

My thought is this: should i either do this inside or outside?

What would be best for a begginer guy like me?

(Now I AM the one who is being redundant)  
Blank avatar

Mrdodobird

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2005, 11:22:03 AM »

I'd advise against using bluescreen if you don't already have a fairly good idea of how it works. It can be hard to get the hang of. Although if you can, go for it! I'm just sayin' you may want to experiment a bit first.

Really, I have no problem with outside. The reason people don't like it is beause it seems like EVERY fanfilm takes place in the woods. People often see it as a cheap way out.

But often times that's one of the only places you can do it.

If you really want to impress people, find some local place that looks like it should be in a Star Wars movie. If you have a cement factory near you, ask if you can film near it. Oil Refinery, Utilities building, anything.

Possibly go into the middle of a lake, and film in a boat you've changed to look like some type of "Water Skimmer" thing. I don't think I've seen that done.

Just throwin' out random ideas.

Heck, even a school janitorial closet, if it's got pipes and stuff in it Smiley

Or you can even make one ( a set, that is) ! I have YEARS worth of junk collected in a back room, and every time I need to make a set, we just rearrange it. We can make a pretty good cockpit in about 20 minutes.

Smoke machines are your friend Smiley You can get em for twenty bucks on sale. You may have to save up a bit, but they're awesome.  
Blank avatar

TechKrill

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2005, 05:55:36 PM »

Location is one of the most imaginative aspects of a Star Wars Fanfilm, because you have to take real-world objects on a low-to-no budget and make your viewers think that they're in the Star Wars universe. Random oddities, flashy buttons and screens, and CG-augmented vistas are of course given...but you can get pretty creative with your environment.

And again, "To Mr. Dodobird you listen, hmm?", fog machines ARE your best friend. Instant suspense and atmosphere Smiley
Blank avatar

JustinZ

Forum Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2005, 07:18:09 PM »

Although all the ideas suggested have been good ones, I recommend keeping it simple for your first film.  Take it as a learning experience.  There's a lot to be learned even in simple films (lighting, camera angles, the mechanics of shooting, dealing with actors and/or other crew, etc.), and the experience will help you be more ambitious in your next film.  If you're up to the more challenging stuff, then go for it, but if you're unsure of what you're getting into, you might be better served with a simpler kind of story set in the Star Wars universe.

Justin

They thought it was love, but it was only the caffeine.
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2005, 01:07:30 AM »

FANFILMS ARE BAD.
READ THRU BEFORE HATING ME, though.

Fanfilms have ONE idea: The ULTIMATE battle for the galaxy (or whatever the particular crew can pull off of that). This is BIGGER than the films themselves... huge scale and ultimately important. WTF.

That has been done... its called the movies. THE movies.

First step: Write a real script.
Second step *DO SECOND: Re-write into the SW universe.

This will stop having the cliches of lightsaber battles, awful writing etc. FanFilms have been done.... I can almost promise that something close to anything you are thinking of when "wanting to make a fanfilm" has been done.

I'm not trying to be a pain here, but just hear me out.

What you want is something new. Some creative.

Some ideas to throw out:
1. No lightsabers (tragic, eh? well.... I have yet to see a fanfilm without... or at least... very few of them)
2. Sabers VS blasters instead. Sith ARE RARE, so have a jedi on a NORMAL mission
3. Focus on NO JEDI AT ALL and show a smuggler on his spice run. Show a twi-lek girl sold to the hutts who escapes. Show the story of a famous podracer. Show a senator. The ideas are endless in this wonderful playground lucas has greated. Don't just stick to sabers... been done.

Some Don'ts:
1. use a forest
2. jedi vs sith saber battle. uh uh.
3. do anything done in fanfilms you've seen.

However, if you want to just make a fun film, then sure, do a saber battle.... great practice, but its been done, over and over. If you want something original, you WONT find a new version of the classic stuff. Look to something else, something untapped for its potential.

Get the script right, get good actors or rehearse enough.

Anyway, best of luck. I'm not yelling at you, but warning you, so please don't take this stuff the wrong way.
Plus, I'm not trying to tell you not to do this if you WANT to, but KNOW it HAS been done if its the cliche stuff of jedi, sith, forests, battles, etc.

Random info: For example on this stuff: lets be original with the lightsaber...
1. regular saber... how dull... so:
2. double bladed saber. first in the comics, then episode 1. Again, overdone. cool, though.
3. Two sabers.... awesome idea and not quite overdone. But yet... not original.
4. Two double sabers... how'd you fight... and I think its been done.
From there, you get bizarre ideas:
Triple bladed sabers, Saber nun-chucks, Light whips (bending saber with a 12 foot range), Sabers attached to body parts... elbow pads, kneepads, etc. I thnk some guy even had a 12 bladed saber. ALL OF THESE HAVE BEEN DONE.
Two random Idea's I've had: SaberHorn... that would rock. Lightshield... boring, clumsy, but new.
The moral: its been done over and over. You gotta do something different, not a "differnt" version of the same.

Hope this helps. I'm being a bit drastic, so don't take everything I say at fact... just get the idea behind it and know what you are up against. Again, good luck Smiley

BTW, DurbnPoisn's an administrator at this site Wink And yeah, cool site Smiley
Blank avatar

Yodaman

Mystic Muppet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2005, 06:44:53 AM »

Fanfilms have ONE idea: The ULTIMATE battle for the galaxy (or whatever the particular crew can pull off of that). This is BIGGER than the films themselves... huge scale and ultimately important. WTF.

AHEM  <_<  

I'm Yoda. I'm soldier. I mold ya, then fold ya, I thought I told ya. Don't be unwise, judge me not by my size. You won't believe your eyes. Watch the X-Wing rise.

http://www.swtales.tk' target='_blank'>Pain is temporary- Tales are Forever.
Blank avatar

Mrdodobird

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2005, 08:23:24 AM »

In general, I feel this is a fairly true statement. I get a couple emails a month asking me to help them make a star wars movie with the "Ultimate Battle"
Blank avatar

Yodaman

Mystic Muppet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2005, 10:27:57 AM »

It's just that Daniel is saying all Star Wars fan films are about 'Ultimate Battles'  when that just isn't true at all. What about Jedi Hunter? What about Pink Five? What about MY film? I never even considered an 'Ultimate Battle for the Universe' when I was brainstorming ideas, so don't go generalizing until you know what you're talking about.  

I'm Yoda. I'm soldier. I mold ya, then fold ya, I thought I told ya. Don't be unwise, judge me not by my size. You won't believe your eyes. Watch the X-Wing rise.

http://www.swtales.tk' target='_blank'>Pain is temporary- Tales are Forever.
Blank avatar

Mrdodobird

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2005, 11:38:02 AM »

I have no response to that Smiley

Inteurpret that as you will.  
Blank avatar

GnomesOfYoreReturn!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2005, 12:30:39 AM »

It seems to me that the main problem is that they are always lacking in story, though I think that about most things.....the story is the important part....in some cases I say just write it.....erase it and lose all copies of it......take a bit of time.....rewrite it....then go with editing from there, I've used this method with many things I've written and found that it really helped clear my head and the main point to the 2nd run through is that you have a complete outline in your head and you can focus more on details the 2nd time through.....its the details that make a story and characters....if you are really trying to make a good film I think you should spend a lot of time on the writing.....personally I hated Eps 1 - 3, I thought that they were all crap.....and thats because the story was dumb, the characters were weak, and well I'll leave it at that for now because I could rant for a while.....and no I'm not a rabid fan or anything....I'm just overly critical about all movies because generally they suck.....and it can almost all be tied back to a crappy story....anyways thats probably the most redundant post ever I think I was probably just repeating myself or something.....so I will end it here.....

All Hail my GWB Gnome!!!
Blank avatar

Tru_Slice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2005, 03:30:16 PM »

All Good Ideas. Thanks. It's glad to know that I'm not the only man/child (or am I...) left in the world with an imagination. (No offense, but good of' George has lost it; he's gone senile in his old age and the new movies show it.) The new movies aren't all that bad though.

I HAVE BEEN WORKING ON A STORY....and yes, unfortunately, THERE ARE LIGHTSABERS IN IT. (I would use blasters, but swordfighting is just so much more entertaining.)

...ANYWAY...(back to story)

Typical Star Wars opening. Words scroll down. Typical Star Wars story blah blah blah. The words end, and then my friend and I come in on flying together in X-wings. ( but I would much rather prefer Z-95's, but I cannot seem to find a 3D model to download online for 3D Studio Max, so when you read this, somebody tell me where I can find one.) It's all CG. Cockpit scene. I initiate dialog. By the way, my friend and I ARE BOTH JEDI, but we are inexperienced jedi; brand new to Luke's Jedi academy. We investigate the *ahem* "disappearance" of one of our friends. Specifically my friend. Which makes it all the more personal. AND he WAS a Jedi. It all sounds typical, right? Well, this is where your guys' ideas come into play. FROM THIS POINT ON, PLEASE FEEL COMFORTABLE TO ADD ANYTHING TO THIS STORY WHEN YOU REPLY. Anyway, I'm talking to my friend, (let's just call him the un-jedi name of Andrew for now) and telling him about my EX- Jedi friend.(who we will call Taylor, because we still haven't figured out our names yet.) So I'm talking about how TAYLOR left because he was frustrated about the way Luke and the other dudes who trained him. When I'm done saying this, the camera goes over to ANDREW in his cockpit and he agrees and disagrees with me. (working on the dialogue there, so that's a good place to add something.) We eventually finish our dialog, and then the CG come in and shows both of us fly on into a planet's atmosphere. I WILL USE "djr33's" SUGGESTION AND USE A FOG MACHINE IN THE AREA WE FILM IN, WHICH UNFORTUNATELY, IS A FOREST. IT WILL BE SOMEWHAT MORE INTERESTING THAN A TYPICAL FOREST. (and it will help to hide our equipment, so nice idea, djr33.) We land, (not shown) an the camera shows us walking away from our ships. We initiate dialog. (Master Skywalker told us to come here to this backwater planet to find him.) We talk and talk,(add stuff here, guys) and then I sense something. We go to investigate, and then in a rabid fury, TAYLOR jumps out of nowhere and attacks us, (with a double-bladed lightsaber; I KNOW THIS IS SOUNDS REALLY TYPICAL, BUT PATIENCE YOUNG PADAWAN, THE INTERESTING, ORIGINAL PARTS ARE COMING UP.) ANDREW battles him for a little while, (add some interesting moves here) and then he gets slashed twice, and gets force pushed away. TAYLOR turns his saber off and clips it back on his belt. Then TAYLOR looks up and sees me there and does a force push on me, (some push effect here, like a fan or something) but I block his push, in sort of a Jedi-academy (the game) sort of way. I then say, "Unh-Uh. I won't go down that easily, TAYLOR." (add more interesting dialog here) Then I ignite my GREEN blade and we go at it. This is where the serious effects star coming into play. We seem like we are equally tied. (HERE COMES THE INTERESTING, ORIGINAL PART) TAYLOR lunges at me with one end of his blade. (I'll try my best to describe this guys.) I raise to block. We struggle, and then TAYLOR smiles and detaches one end of his lightsaber, (while it's on, and we are still in a lock) and with the detached end in his right hand, he swoops his saber down low, to my left. I THEN REACH BEHIND MY BACK AND PULL OUT ANOTHER LIGHTSABER. A YELLOW BLADE COMES OUT OF IT AND THEN RAISES TO BLOCK TAYLOR'S SWOOP TO MY LEFT; JUST IN TIME. So there we are; each of us now having TWO lightsabers. The camera flicks over to TAYLOR's face. A flashback. Something about how TAYLOR left, and I inherited his YELLOW LIGHTSABER, WHICH I JUST NOW USED IN BATTLE AGAINST HIM. Then it returns to us; still in a saber lock with FOUR sabers all together. then we push off, and enter a spectacular ( Really! Spectacular! I Promise!) battle with our sabers. But.............!..............., I end up getting beaten by a double-slash. BUT THEN, A NEW CHARACTER ENTERS THE FRAY!!!!!!! My friend, who we will call ARIC, Comes up walking all mysterious-like in his brown robe. (which as of now he has completed.) It resembles the one time in RETURN OF THE JEDI when Luke walks into Jabba's palace, all incognito and mysterious-like. ARIC flipps his hood backwards and his face is revealed. (and he's a pretty handsome guy-*laugh*)
(sorry, Aric, just playn') he ignites his queiry purple saber (purple is gay) and attack TAYLOR. TAYLOR senses him as a big challenge and immediately re-attaches his saber together and fights him. ARIC stands his groung pretty well. (ANOTHER INTERESTING, ORIGINAL PART.) ARIC then hits another button on his saber and it triples in length. He then swing at him wildly, and it shows me over on the ground, thinking how dumb ARIC looks with his really long saber. ARICS then comes at TAYLOR with a humongous swing, and TAYLOR engages to block it, (FUNNY PART) but the force of the blade knocks him, and he goes flying. TAYLOR is stopped by a tree and hits it hard. ARIC then come over to assist me and ANDREW. I go over to assist TAYLOR, clutching my stomach, and help him up. He come to his senses and apologizes saying that he was wrong and wishes to come back to the academy with us. I accept, and then ALL OF US walk off, ARIC being the only one without wounds, and we walk off and there's sort a warm feeling about us helping each other out, and then it ends.

Soooo...whadya guys think?
Hit Me.

TAYLOR attack ARIC: (ARIC will have clothes on during the movie)
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: