theBRB Banner

Forum      Theater      Contests      Stockpile

Welcome Guest.

Login | Register

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Subtracting The Lightsaber  (Read 2420 times)
Blank avatar

Moriarty

« on: July 18, 2005, 02:17:09 AM »

Hey guys,

I'm getting stuck into my little movie with involving a duel - the only problem is I've encountered some obscurities that I need to get rid of. Following Ryan W's tutorial on how to rotoscope lightsabers (I am a novice at after effects, so bear with me) I was starting to get the hang of it all - but uinfortunately I've become stuck with the subtraction part of the process.

Ok, basically the scene has two lightsbares contacting each other. One of the lightsabers currently is going through someone else arm, which I need to get rid of.

Viewing the tutorial, it states that I have to add another mask, go to the point of the footage where the obscurity happens and then go to the frame before hand. Clicking on the stopwatch of the mask, I add an additional mask which I cover over the area I need to subtract. I also put SUBTRACT in the timeline box.

After this has been done, the effect doesn't seem to take place. I put the subtraction on after I've rotoscoped the lightsaber, before I put the effects on it. Is this the correct procedure?

Can somebosy please make a little tutorial guide for me? I know that's asking for a bit, but It's really bugging me that I can't resolve this and I've tried tinkering around with different things but to no avail.
I'm using Adobe After Effects.

Any more info just ask...
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2005, 02:36:13 AM »

1. Rotoscope like normal. Finish, be done.
2. Make a new mask for where it needs to not be shown.
3. Apply this to the layer which the saber's blade lies upon. You should do it to the original version, not the overlayed already glowing one as that would create a sharp edge. *or you could feather. But thats more complex than matters.
4. Go to LAYER>Mask>Mode>Subtract, while that subtract mask is highlighted.

Render.

Be sure you apply it to the right layer. Also, if you have already copied the data into a new comp, then you will need to either redo that new comp or copy the new mask into that via copy/paste.

Hope this works out.

Its not that hard once you know how. 'til then its totally confusing.

Smiley
Blank avatar

Moriarty

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2005, 03:43:57 AM »

cheers, I'll try that in a bit...damn work...
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2005, 03:45:52 AM »

Sounds good. I'm not sure what the problem is... so if that doesn't work, you should give some more details.

Also, give it a try in a fake setup. Your project may be screwed up due to some weird thing you accidentally did. So... make a new project, do a quick pretend saber and try to do this with that. See what happens.

Good luck.
Blank avatar

Mrdodobird

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2005, 09:04:49 AM »

Aye. This is good advice, which has been given here this day.  Smiley  
Blank avatar

Moriarty

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2005, 10:42:01 AM »

Uuuuuuum, when I've done that, what do I  render? Do I go to

Render>Fill?

Blank avatar

Funk, E

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2005, 10:50:31 AM »

What?
Blank avatar

Moriarty

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2005, 10:58:36 AM »

I've rendered the segment of the film I want, and then added in the layer that I want to subtract - but it just gives me a black mask - like a black hole where I want the break to be. Do I need to layer the mask over another composition?

Sorry, when Djr33 said render, I thought he meant render in the EFFECT tool....
Blank avatar

Funk, E

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2005, 11:01:33 AM »

I think you may be doing things in the wrong order, or just wrongly.  Recheck djr's tips.
Blank avatar

djr33

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2005, 01:00:16 PM »

To render:
Compostion>Make Movie...
then just follow the options.
Blank avatar

JustinZ

Forum Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2005, 02:07:13 PM »

Posting a screencap of the problem would help us understand what you're seeing.

Justin

They thought it was love, but it was only the caffeine.
Blank avatar

Moriarty

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2005, 06:59:55 AM »

I finally figured out what the problem was - although I was subtracting the mask I wasn't pasting it properly into the original segment of movie. The subtratced bit was always put at the beginning the footage and I wasn't moving it to the frames where they were actually needed (D'oh!)

Anyhoo, just wanted to say a big thank you to all you guys who helped out a noob in need.

Cheers!!
Blank avatar

Mrdodobird

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2005, 10:08:53 AM »

Sweet! Congratulations, dude! Glad you were able to figure it out Smiley :beer:
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: